Alternator/Diode or weak contact issue?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Alternator/Diode or weak contact issue??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 05-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alternator/Diode or weak contact issue??

Very similar threads to my problem, just no solid leads. I gave a jump to someone in need. The very next day while driving my voltage gauge spiked to 19 suddenly, check gages light came on. Continued to drive, few minutes it went off and voltage gauge returned to normal. Minutes later, spiked again. Immediately pulled into oriellys to have a voltage test done, revealing that my battery and alternator were operating normal.(I should note that my gauge had returned to normal before I had the test ran) I believe this is an alternator issue, but how or why? Since then, jeep drives all day everyday till yesterday. Wife drove and says spiked again, as shes parking it dies. Cranks right back up no problem but the clock was at 12:00. Any ideas guys?

2tall2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am a bit confused. Is my voltage regulator separate, or is it internal to my alternator??
2tall2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
mmerlinn

Since your clock reset, it would seem that you have a wiring problem as clocks do not reset unless juice is disconnected. Clean your battery terminals first. If that does not solve the problem, start looking for bad grounds and/or wires that are corroded/loose/broken.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your connections as stated. But your amp meter spikes don't sound too good.

Your voltage should be regulated externally through the brain. If you hooked up/unhooked the jumper cables improperly it might cause electrical issues.

IIRC it is; + cable on good battery first. Then + cable on dead battery. Then - cable on good battery and then........- cable on good unpainted surface of the dead battery's vehicle. The reverse order for taking them off when the dead vehicle fires up.
I usually do this then fire up the good vehicle....and wait for a full ten minutes. This give the dead battery to begin to accept a charge. They actually resist charging when they are real dead.

Doing it the wrong way could fry 'things' on the good vehicle that do not 'like' high resistance or shorting.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.