? for all the motor heads out there - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > ? for all the motor heads out there

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
bum4x4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

? for all the motor heads out there

Just had my motor professionally rebuilt and installed by an automotive machine shop. They said that they send the radiator in to be reconditioned when they pull the motor and replace the water pump (for an additional fee of course). I told them since the radiator and water pump has been replaced about 10,000 miles ago that it should be fine. The motor was installed and the mechanic was test-driving it when he said the radiator blew a 6 inch gap along the top. Now he said that the motor did not over heat and that the temp. got to 210* and held there prior to the radiator blowing. Since I did not have the radiator inspected that I will be charged for replacing it. Not so much a problem if that is what happened. I just find it hard to believe that that much pressure can build up and not cause any other damage or the mechanic blaming it on the radiator when there is another problem with it. Please tell me Iím wrong and this happens.
93 Wrangler, 4.0 auto.

bum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
bum4x4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

FYI. I drove it 45 minutes one way in 97* weather with the a/c on when I drop it off and the temp never got over 210*. Just hard to believe that the radiator goes bad when they install the rebuilt motor. But it could happen?
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum4x4 View Post
FYI. I drove it 45 minutes one way in 97* weather with the a/c on when I drop it off and the temp never got over 210*. Just hard to believe that the radiator goes bad when they install the rebuilt motor. But it could happen?
It might have been the rad cap. A bad rad cap can cause too much pressure build up in the cooling system. The weakest item in your cooling system lets go first.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Who's rad? It is possible it could have been a defect or handled rough.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
rad(iator)

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

rad(iator)
Ok, Grammer correction is not required. Since the thread is about a blown radiator I think everyone would know what I meant by the term rad.

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, Grammer correction is not required. Since the thread is about a blown radiator I think everyone would know what I meant by the term rad.
Who TF's rad do you think we were talking about? You only input offered no help but just asked a question which was fairly obvious IF you read the OP's initial post. FIY.....If you haven't figured it out it, was the OP's rad.

I responded to your odd question since I thought you didn't know what rad was short for.

Just for the record, what do you think the possible problem is?

Unread 09-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

Who TF's rad do you think we were talking about? You only input offered no help but just asked a question which was fairly obvious IF you read the OP's initial post. FIY.....If you haven't figured it out it, was the OP's rad.

I responded to your odd question since I thought you didn't know what rad was short for.

Just for the record, what do you think the possible problem is?
For your information, good sir, I did read the first post and know who's rad (the jeep owner) that is being talked about. What I asked was "Who's rad? (Which Manufacturer) it was. Some radiators, such as stock, are known to have issues with seam leakage/separation. As far as my opinion as to the problem usually something like that is caused by one of two things. Either a bad radiator or a bad radiator/overflow bottle cap. Although it is possible that the cap is bad and caused the system to over pressurize and therefore cause the radiator to burst, my experience has been a bad cap usually results in an under pressurized system. Usually, but not always. Hence the reason I asked who's radiator (again who meaning made by who). So my reply did offer a suggestion of something to look into (possible help).

Forgive my sarcasm and smart-@**ness. But I take your reply as a "How stupid are you?" type of comment.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and BTW, this is for the OP.

I apologize for my part in the slight hijack and pissing contest in this thread. Hope you find a solution and the cost, if any, for the repair is as minimal as possible.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Just take a look at it to verify the crack. Make sure there are no impact marks on the tank or wherever the crack is. I'd hate to think they might be trying to cover their butts by accidentally damaging the radiator. Stuff like that happens, it sucks and adds more cost to an already expensive bill but it happens.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
bum4x4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK I picked up the jeep last Friday and got to inspect the old radiator. Sure enough there is about a 4"-6" crack along the top edge. There appears to be no other noticeable damage to it. I guess my main concern was if there could be any internal damage to the motor. I was able to drive and inspect the jeep today everything seem fine. Temp holding between 195* and 210*, no leaks anywhere. All is good for now so I guess it does happen. Also thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.