All aluminum CNC ported big valve head for 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > All aluminum CNC ported big valve head for 4.0

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 02-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
RedWrangler04

All aluminum CNC ported big valve head for 4.0

HEY

My buddy is a direct dealer for www.patriot-performance.com and he called me and told me to check out their new aliminum 4.0 performance head. It claims 40 hp improvement and more torque across the powerband and a 50lb weight savings right off the nose of your vehicle. These are sweet head or heads (for V-8 group) I have seen them installed and seen the numbers (LT1 and LS1). You figure for about 350 more than a regear you get higher flowing head all your power is in your head and weight savings.

Dave Smith (since he is not a vendor I guess I wont post his website but if you want his number PM me) can get them a good chunk less than the web pricing.

Trust me one of these is going on my Jeep in the next few months. Every ounce of power counts. Once installed I will dyno the Heep and give everyone some real world number feedback. Probably dyno the Heep for fun before and after to see the exact numbers. Keep in mind though I will be replacing the manifold )exhaust and installing a Spin Tech full exhaust at the same time so those will increase the ponies a few numbers.

Go ahead laugh if you want but I get the parts at dealer wharehouse cost and a graet deal on install.

RedWrangler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
RIPPN TJ
2005 WK 

Sounds nice but we'll have to wait and see what kind of power and longetivity you really get. I might be interested in trying one out after they've been out for a year or two, I don't want to be a test mule on a $1400 head. What kind of valves, springs, rockers, etc do they supply, the stockers or upgraded versions.
Unread 02-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It will be a challange to get your rig running smooth with a radical head. You will need the bigger TB, Injectors, and how about the Fuel pressure regulator? This biggest problem for the 4.0 is the low compression pistons. They are far from domed. Will his heads boost compression? Afterall, the 4.0 HO head is an awsome design, when placed directly on a 258 (4.2) it will boost preformance.

As for the weight savings. It wont help ya much. A 40 lbs front bumper will sag the suspention more than the head can compensate for. The Block is right over the springs, while the bumper will have more torque applied to the system.

Anyhow, let us know how your rig feels with the new Head.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
DLoweinc

if they were $200 or $300 I could see it as a possibility. But if they are more than $500 the cost is too much especially if you have to buy a lot of other parts to get the best performance from it.

I am interested in real world numbers. Be sure to dyno your jeep before and after so we can see the difference!

Good luck!
Unread 02-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
RedWrangler04

On the compression issue they can cut the combustion chamber to any size CC you want so if you want a tighter CC (smaller combustion chamber) you can bump the compression a point or so and that alone helps HP and TQ (may need to run midgrade though instead of 87). Also the radical head wont effect much like injector size and tb size as long as you stay with stock cam profile. Also Patriot is making some of the best heads out there for all styles so I am sure lots of research was put into this head to be a direct bolt on. On the fully assembled version the springs may be a little better than stock but again unless you change the cam you wouldnt need better than stock springs unless the motor is high mileage then new stocker springs would help. I will be leaving my stock springs on the new head since they only have 6k on them. I am looking for some roller rockers to bump the valve lift a little. Even .030 lift can make a difference of 15-20 REAL horsepower.
RedWrangler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Alec

Rather regear ... swap tranny or swap gears ...

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This head sure sounds like it could cause the engine not to pass the smog test in some states. Is it 50 state certified legal?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
NummysRubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrangler04
Also Patriot is making some of the best heads out there for all styles so I am sure lots of research was put into this head to be a direct bolt on.
Can you bring any Tech to a statement like this, or are you just humping someones leg cause you got a deal? I advise people to check out sites for the LT1, LS1 and 4.6L modular Ford cars and see just how "great" this place is. And if you spend the cash, just pray they got the valve guides correct so they don't fall out, cause WHEN they do, they will just shrug their shoulders....
NummysRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

$1400 for a 40 HP gain

$1400 divided by 40 HP = $35 per HP

Are you friggin nuts.

You can have a 4.0 head decked, ported, polished, cnc'd, larger valves & springs, etc. for the 1/3 of the cost and still get the 40 HP
That's about $12 per HP
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
HEY

My buddy is a direct dealer for www.patriot-performance.com and he called me and told me to check out their new aliminum 4.0 performance head. It claims 40 hp improvement and more torque across the powerband. You figure for about 350 more than a regear you get higher flowing head all your power is in your head and weight savings.

:
Since I installed the LT1 in my CJ, I'm also a board member
over on the CamaroZ28.com sight.

Here's some findings on Patriot heads
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriot has had a few problems with their earlier designs i.e. valve springs & seals,
but they have that stuff sorted out now.
They are shipping with updated (very nice) dual springs now and good seals.

The problems they were having not that long ago?
It just hasn't seemed like much time has passed since I read up on the small handful
of guys with failing heads....therefore leading me to think that patriot really hasn't had the time to rework their heads so that they won't have that problem again....

Update on patriot heads...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was contacted today by Terry from Patriot. I think its only fair for me to share this story as well.

Ive known all along that this situation was above, and out of, Terrys hands...and was solely the decision of the owner. The lack of communication was a problem for me obviously, but may have also been because of the owner. Anyway...
Terry called me and let me know that he is willing to refund the full purchase price of my heads and shipping charges. He felt bad that he didn't agree to that right away when I asked...but that's hindsight. Im glad he called to offer this. Am I happy? Im content with this for now. At least it helps me cover some of the costs ive endured.

If you've read my posts...Im not angry with Terry. Im just angry at how it has been handled thus far (getting better). In other posts I haven't led anyone away from Patriot. Ive had a million PMs over the past two days of people being scared of the orders they have already placed, already shipped, or about to order. Ive told you all, and all of them...that I am sure my incident is isolated...but again, I told them of my disgust of how it was treated.

I don't hate Terry. I don't hate Patriot. My post wasn't to bash, but to inform. Unfortunately the post I am sure...hurt both Terry...and me. At least based on the hate mail ive received that's my impression. Oh well.

For now, Terry has come to me with something I asked for..my $ back...and I appreciate that. I know that the rest of it is not in his hands...Its up to the owner, always has been. Its just unfortunate he (Hugh/owner) isn't the one that has to put up with this mess.
Unread 02-27-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:

Go ahead laugh if you want but I get the parts at dealer wharehouse cost and a graet deal on install.
$1400.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.