All 258's low pressure?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > All 258's low pressure??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
jeromeo8503
1979 CJ7 

All 258's low pressure??

My current 258 in my 79 cj7 is toast, its knocking and have a piston squeal. I have been watching Craigslist/eBay and car-parts.com and 95% listed have 'low oil pressure'. Many of the people claim it runs great and doesn't burn oil, but the pressure sucks. Is there a simple fix to this? Or should I keep looking?

Last edited by jeromeo8503; 09-25-2012 at 12:41 PM..
jeromeo8503 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
baldfatdad

Keep looking. Or rebuild yours. Low oil pressure can be bad pump, bad main or rod bearings, bad cam bearings. Low oil pressure in a jeep also leads to worn out cam.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
jeromeo8503
1979 CJ7 

I don't have the knowledge to rebuild, unfortunately. I did find an '86 258 but it seems as if its not a direct swap to the '79 cj7... Anyone know what the differences are?
Unread 09-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo8503 View Post
I don't have the knowledge to rebuild, unfortunately. I did find an '86 258 but it seems as if its not a direct swap to the '79 cj7... Anyone know what the differences are?
I don't see any problem.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
jeromeo8503
1979 CJ7 

I used some lucas oil (i read the test thing on it, but i love it) and the squeal went away and the knock is still there but it is only present when the engine is at low idle and its not rythmatic. Any ideas/hints/tips and maybe hope I don't have to replace the engine? I did the whole flex plate thing...
Unread 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
jeromeo8503
1979 CJ7 

Decided to stop hoping the knock would go away. Haha. Found a nice engine the guy claims runs great! Since its not still in the jeep, what should I look for? I don't want to be a sucker that buys a bad engine. It's a 76 258 with 65k miles on it.
Unread 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
baldfatdad

You can check the compression, by turning it over by hand. You won't get high numbers, like a hot engine, but at least they should all be the same. Take off the valve cover and look for sludge. Check the freeze plugs for rust and area around the engine mount holes for cracks.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
jeromeo8503
1979 CJ7 

I got my engine! I plan to do an I6 250 Chevy engine since it is a good running engine I pulled from an old C-10 I have. I have all the swap parts coming but is there anything else I should look for?

I have a TH400 transmission in the Jeep. I have read you should change the front pump seal, front pump bushing and the rear main seal. Is there anything else I should look at? (also can't find the "front pump bushing" anywhere... idea's?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.