Air Intake Whistling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Air Intake Whistling

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Air Intake Whistling

1979 CJ5 I6 258 runs well on it's basic single brl carb, however when ever I really press the throttle down I get a very loud whistling coming from the air intake. The harder I press the throttle, the louder it gets until acceleration levels off. I have taken the air cleaner off and tracked the sound to the air intake. At this point I have no idea how to stop this whistle. Anybody have any suggestions to what I could try to stop this whistle?

Please note in the pic I have replaced the plugs with vacume caps on the Inlets/outlets on the carb not in use.

18-1-.jpg  
Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Get a closed air filter housing, what I mean is a stock type filter housing with the snorkel/funnel type tube on it. Open element filters make noise under heavy throttle/load that is basically why the factory designs filter housing for noise. Other than for noise that filter setup is very prone to water/mud debris which could ruin your day of fun when splashing through puddles etc and gets into the engine. Also the filter setup is getting nothing but hot engine air, a factory type filter housing with proper ducting can be setup to get cooler air and also put in a place to shield water/mud, I think the factory air intake was a square opening right beside the LH headlamp.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Thank you, that makes sense as I do see the vent port on the interior of the grill on the drivers side where the breather would attach. Any suggestions where to procure a replacement filter housing and breather? I have been searching online and have had no luck as of yet. I may have to go junk yarding and peice me togehter something.
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would probably just go to a scrap yard that has older vehicles. You may not need to find a jeep though, a lot of 1 & 2 barrel carbs had the same size opening for air filter bases. maybe test fit it first or measure it for fit. You really dont need to rush out and change that filter design, unless the noise is really bothering you or you plan to spalsh through deep water/mud.

You might try places like 4wd.com or quadratec.com too
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Thanks jnicewan, yeah the noise is horrible! When in third and pushing the gas, the sucking/whistle is louder than the motor/exhaust.
Unread 05-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Some people prefer that kind of sound, most cold air induction kits cause it too. I will admit it sounds cool on most v8 engines but not so much on a 6.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.