Air in coolant 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Air in coolant 4.0

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
TJW909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Air in coolant 4.0

Hey guys what is the trick to getting the air out of the coolant system on a 4.0. I had to change a leaking freeze plug and I can not get the system to take coolant? I done some checking on google and they say the 4.0's are famous for getting air in the head, but no luck on finding any info on purging the system???????

TJW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

fill the rad completely with coolant and run the jeep until the t stat opens you'll notice a drop in the coolant level and keep filling until you see no bubbles and a steady flow of coolant. that's what i did just kept adding you'll see the level drop every now and then just add to it.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
89warwagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

On the back of the head(driver side)there is a sender screwed in for the temp gauge,loosen but don't remove it completely.Start engine and let it get up to operating temp....the air should seep past the threads because this is the highest point...... coolant starts dribbling out letting you know all the air has escaped.
One other thing that helps is to drill a 1/8" hole at 12 and 6 oclock position in the thermostat flange to help air escape(most t-stats have this already some dont)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.