AC compressor clutch test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > AC compressor clutch test

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

AC compressor clutch test

Ok my other ride is this: A 2001 WJ 4.0 with NO AZT AC controls.

AC was working fine Sunday. Monday the AC compressor clutch won't engage.

I have checked the relay and fuse for the AC system and they are both good The AC compressor clutch is not engaging.

IIRC if I remove the low pressure switch plug from the top of the accumulator and place a jumper wire in the plug doesn't that force the AC compressor clutch to engage? If it doesn't the clutch is toast, right?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

Sub'd out to dinner right now. Will post in a couple hours as I trouble shoot a/c and electrical components and can walk you though it. If you have a multi meter. But yes jumping low side will force it to come on.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ01TJ View Post
Sub'd out to dinner right now. Will post in a couple hours as I trouble shoot a/c and electrical components and can walk you though it. If you have a multi meter. But yes jumping low side will force it to come on.
The AC worked fine one day and was dead the next day. My first thought was the damn compressor clutch crapped out. So I jumped the low side switch plug and got nothing still.

The AC relay and AC fuse in the PDC have been tested and swapped out with others and that did no good.

From memory, what little I have left... I thought that if I removed the low pressure switch plug from the low pressure switch located in the top of the accumulator and jumped the pins with a small jumper wire it forces the compressor clutch to engage. IIRC that is how I charged it over the years when necessary.

Mine didn't.... Then I had second thoughts about the way I did test it so I asked here.

You cannot get at the clutch coil without pulling the air intake box and unbolting and moving the power steering set up out of the way on my 01WJ.

Even then space isn't the best while trying to get at things. I only want to pull it apart once......to fix the damn thing!

I am almost positive that the magnetic coil in the clutch mechanism crapped out, (2nd one to do so). It is a 2001 WJ and not getting any younger.

Then, I was thinking...maybe I should replace the whole compressor and clutch. Rockauto has them real cheap, A new DENSO Part # 4710278 compressor for $164.79.

The clutch assembly alone costs ~$70.00. Then I got the 'might as wells' and figured that the accumulator is original also so maybe I should change that too.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.