99' XJ 4.0 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 99' XJ 4.0 swap

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
killswitch04

99' XJ 4.0 swap

Hey guys new here. Just bought a 99XJ 4.0, 4x4, AT. Had a nasty rod knock and exited the block on the way to the shop, lol. On the way the steering felt a bit sloppy, more like a rack issue not pwr steer pump. I have already put new gaskets and seals in the motor I'm going to swap. My question is, is the steering rack easier to replace while the motor is out and would the rack be the culprit if al are good? Thanks!

killswitch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
killswitch04

If all the joints are good and tight**
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If the motor is out, then yes the steering is easier to get to, as is pretty much everything else.
Inspect everything, and account for any lift it has. If it's lifted and the steering has not been addressed, then that is a likely culprit.
Far too many just slap springs on a rig and call it lifted. Far from the truth when they leave steering geometry, driveline angles, brakes, and so on untouched.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
killswitch04

Gotcha, it has a rough country 3" lift w control arms. What are some things I would need to address (if a 3" would cause issues) while I'm in process? It's completely stock except for the lift. I bought it this way.
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
killswitch04

Let me clarify, when you talk about steering geometry, how do you correct that
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do some light reading in the XJ tech section. There are tons of posts there about it.
You want the trac bar in line with the drag link as a rule though, so have a look at it and see how far off it is.
You also need to beef it all up if the tires are oversize, and think about a reinforcement for the steering box mount. The unibody can and does shear there.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.