99 TJ Sport Stalling Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 99 TJ Sport Stalling Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
LazySumo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 TJ Sport Stalling Issues

I have a 99 Sport (inline 6) and she stalls at weird times. Did it today on the highway at speed. All of the sudden while holding a steady pressure on the accelerator she coughed, died and then roared back to life. The "Check Engine" light came on (still on). I cleaned the IAC, took her out for a test drive and she did the same thing again, but this time there was about 2 minutes of her wildly going from stalled to full revs back to stall, tach bouncing all over the place.

Troubleshooting so far...

1. Cleaned air filter
2. Better gas brands
3. Cleaned IAC.

I'm open to any suggestions on troubleshooting this.

LazySumo
LazySumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Zeppelin
1996 ZJ 

First thing to do is get the code read to see what the computer says the issue is. No point in guessing at this point. Let us know what the code is?
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
LazySumo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Would love to, but its a 99 so the "turn the key three times on and off" thing doesn't work. If I hold the "reset trip odometer" and turn the key on and off three times I end up with a cluster test and doesn't tell me the code.

So how do I check the code on a 99 TJ? If someone can answer that I'll happily check it.

LazySumo
LazySumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Zeppelin
1996 ZJ 

A lot of auto parts stores have them and will scan the vehicle for free. They are hoping to sell you the replacement sensor.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
99 , stall issue , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.