99 JGC- Possible rear differential issue(s)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 99 JGC- Possible rear differential issue(s)?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
mtgbroker22

99 JGC- Possible rear differential issue(s)?

Hi everyone!

Just purchased my first Jeep last weekend and there's a noise coming from the rear that almost sounds like my calipers are froze, but they're not. I get this noise from 10 mph and on up. The other thing it does is only when the wheel is cranked all the way to the right or left, the truck jerks.

My trusted mechanic thinks it could be the rear differential causing this, but couldn't know for certain without opening everything up.

Has anyone had a similar experience that could help point me in the right direction for the cause of these issues?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice,

Jeff L.

mtgbroker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgbroker22 View Post
Hi everyone!

Just purchased my first Jeep last weekend and there's a noise coming from the rear that almost sounds like my calipers are froze, but they're not. I get this noise from 10 mph and on up. The other thing it does is only when the wheel is cranked all the way to the right or left, the truck jerks.

My trusted mechanic thinks it could be the rear differential causing this, but couldn't know for certain without opening everything up.

Has anyone had a similar experience that could help point me in the right direction for the cause of these issues?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice,

Jeff L.
Have your 'trusted mechanic' put your WJ up on a lift, start it and have a good listen to it while it is in gear.

If you pin your steering wheel it will do exactly what you describe if the outside wheel can't slip. It is how 4wd works.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

transfer case issue is the binding and possibly bearings at the rear

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.