'99 5.2L clank/rattle?? Video included!! Thanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > '99 5.2L clank/rattle?? Video included!! Thanks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 10-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

'99 5.2L clank/rattle?? Video included!! Thanks

Hi, I have a '99 Durango with the 318ci Magnum engine and 44RE trans that has a really bad clank/rattle somewhere around the oil pan/bellhousing area? The noise seems to go mostly away when any throttle is applied, and it is mostly when idling (usually anytime it is below 1000rpm it will). The Durango has about 141k miles, but the trans was replaced at 110k with a reman'd trans. I have been on the XJ Tech Forum for a long time and trust JF a lot more than other forums, and since the 318ci is the the same engine as the ZJ 318ci I figured someone would know what this is...

A few people have told me that it sounded like the timing chain was loose, so I replaced the timing set this last weekend. And that did not correct the clanking/rattling noise.

And for some reason I am having issues posting YouTube, or Photobucket movies, so I'll try both lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45da7xLoBDE
or at Photobucket.com

nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Any ideas? Bump? I've had someone say that it possibly sounds like the flywheel bolts? And of course, there isn't an easily accessible inspection plate.....
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So when it is in Reverse, or Drive, the clanking goes away pretty much? Only when it is in Park, or Neutral
Unread 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, well I figured it out! Lol its a cracked, or loose, flexplate. So today I am going to try to access the inspection plate and get the final answer
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
Alright, well I figured it out! Lol its a cracked, or loose, flexplate. So today I am going to try to access the inspection plate and get the final answer
Any news?
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrabtree View Post

Any news?
So I got into the insp plate and noticed that ALL of the flexplate bolts were loose..........and one was missing! I guess I am going to have to wait until I can drop the trans now. I didn't see where the other bolt went, let alone the fact that I can't see if anything else got damaged from it probably rolling around the bell housing. None of the bolts seem to have any thread lock on them even.

So I figure I am going to just save the money and get a new torque converter, flexplate and bolts. Sound right? Any recommendations on brands of torque converters? I have was thinking about getting a higher stall converter while I was at it, something around 2000?

The thing that really sucks is that I purchased this truck about 10k miles after a reman'd trans got put in, and I think that they must not have used any locktite. I guess I'll have to look to see if its under warranty still!? Probably not......but worth a look.
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

I know absolutely nothing about automagic transmissions. If it breaks, I take it out, put a new one in, torque it down, and slap the vehicle on it's *** as it leaves. I would pull the transmission and check EVERYTHING.
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well.....no warranty coverage so it looks like I am going to have to install it myself. Now I just need to learn how! Haha

I did some research and found out that I want a 2400 stall speed for my 318 to match my torque numbers I guess. So I was looking at getting a Pro-King torque converter after reading a few reviews. But does anyone know what other seals I will need to do it right?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.