98 ZJ 5.2 won't start after I changed plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 ZJ 5.2 won't start after I changed plugs

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ 5.2 won't start after I changed plugs (With Video!)

I'm having trouble troubleshooting my jeep. I changed the dist cap and rotor because they looked like crap (mainly the cap), and I changed the spark plugs because they looked like crap and all had too much gap.

After I put everything back together, it didn't run.

I repositioned the rotor and the cap after the first try, and re-inserted the plugs. I also checked the wiring a couple of times.

I thought maybe I somehow flooded the engine so I opened up the plugs and let it air out. A few of the plugs looked dirty/smelled gasoliney.

To me it sounds like I don't have the firing order right, but I followed this firing order:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl-fo-4772.htm
which is the same what's molded into my engine...

Any ideas for me to try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESM6V...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by ghatid; 06-20-2013 at 12:12 AM..
ghatid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatid View Post
I'm having trouble troubleshooting my jeep. I changed the dist cap and rotor because they looked like crap (mainly the cap), and I changed the spark plugs because they looked like crap and all had too much gap.

After I put everything back together, it didn't run.

I repositioned the rotor and the cap after the first try, and re-inserted the plugs. I also checked the wiring a couple of times.

I thought maybe I somehow flooded the engine so I opened up the plugs and let it air out. A few of the plugs looked dirty/smelled gasoliney.

To me it sounds like I don't have the firing order right, but I followed this firing order:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl-fo-4772.htm
which is the same what's molded into my engine...

Any ideas for me to try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESM6V...ature=youtu.be
You are out of time. How did you 'reposition' the rotor and distributer cap? They only go on one way?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
You are out of time. How did you 'reposition' the rotor and distributer cap? They only go on one way?
Oh, I just took them out and put them back in again, just to make sure I didn't mess up somewhere, but everything I did was pretty basic.

I forgot to add, I also cleaned the throttle body, and I just checked the codes and I'm getting P0123, so maybe I broke a sensor when I cleaned it. Which sensor would make it so my car doesn't start?
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, I just took them out and put them back in again, just to make sure I didn't mess up somewhere, but everything I did was pretty basic.

I forgot to add, I also cleaned the throttle body, and I just checked the codes and I'm getting P0123, so maybe I broke a sensor when I cleaned it. Which sensor would make it so my car doesn't start?
P0123 is TPS sensor issue did you unplug it and forget to plug it back in?

My money says you have the firing order wrong.

cylinder orientation and firing order;

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
P0123 is TPS sensor issue did you unplug it and forget to plug it back in?

My money says you have the firing order wrong.

cylinder orientation and firing order;

Yeah, to my untrained ear, it sounds like my firing order is wrong, but I followed that exact pattern (checked, rechecked, etc) and it doesn't work. Engine turns over, but just as it is about to go, it makes a noise and doesn't start. The TPS is plugged in, but it's obviously causing some issues.
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, to my untrained ear, it sounds like my firing order is wrong, but I followed that exact pattern (checked, rechecked, etc) and it doesn't work. Engine turns over, but just as it is about to go, it makes a noise and doesn't start. The TPS is plugged in, but it's obviously causing some issues.
Pull #1 plug. remove coil wire so the engine won't start.

Stick your finger in the plug hole.

Have a buddy SLOWLY bump this engine with short hits of the ignition. once you begin to feel the whoosh of air pushing on your finger, STOP hitting the ignition.

Place a wooden dowel (or a long bladed screwdriver or piece of steel fuel line like almost everyone else does) into #1 cylinder.

Then using a large socket and a breaker bar attached to the harmonic balancer bolt, SLOWLY turn this engine until the bar/rod/pipe or whatever else you stuck in #1 cylinder stops rising.

You should now be at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke of #1 piston.

Check your timing marks. It should be at or very near TDC.

Now pull the dizzy cap off. Where is your rotor pointing????

It should be at or just before the location of #1 spark plug tower on the dizzy cap.

If the timing marks are where they need to be but the rotor is way off, the problem could most likely be in the dizzy.

If the timing marks do not line up and the rotor is off also have your buddy now hit the ignition key once more.

Did the rotor move. Did it move? Yes? That means your TC isn't busted.

But if the rotor is out and the timing marks do not align your TC is probably stretched and you jumped time.....

Unread 06-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys, looks like I have a bit of checking to do ahead of me.

*edit* what did I do wrong that could have caused my timing to be off now?
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks guys, looks like I have a bit of checking to do ahead of me.

*edit* what did I do wrong that could have caused my timing to be off now?
That my friend is the $64.00 question isn't it????? That is why you have to do what I mentioned to verify mechanically if your timing is OK. Then I suspect the firing order.

After that I'm out of ideas unless you come up with some thing else you might have stuck your big meat hooks into.

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
JapJohn
1995 ZJ 

Did you disconnect the battery?

If you did, lock/unlock your door with the key then try restarting it.

That resets the factory security system.
JapJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
rgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapJohn View Post
Did you disconnect the battery?

If you did, lock/unlock your door with the key then try restarting it.

That resets the factory security system.
never heard of this.
rgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
ghatid
1998 ZJ 

Oh, I should update this.

It was really embarrassing. Turns out I had all the plugs off by 1. The cap is angled slightly, even though in the images it's obvious that 2 is the one closest to the engine, there are 2 points that seem like they are close to the engine. I chose the wrong one.

Anyways, I moved them all over by one and the engine runs great.

Stupid mistake. Thanks for all the help.
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, I should update this.

It was really embarrassing. Turns out I had all the plugs off by 1. The cap is angled slightly, even though in the images it's obvious that 2 is the one closest to the engine, there are 2 points that seem like they are close to the engine. I chose the wrong one.

Anyways, I moved them all over by one and the engine runs great.

Stupid mistake. Thanks for all the help.
A stupid mistake is one you do not learn from.....or you repeat!!

Unread 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
peter_zabriskie
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
A stupid mistake is one you do not learn from.....or you repeat!!
As this is a fairly recent thread I will update: I did the same as you, mixed up the plug holes on the "dizzy" (like that). Hard as h*ll to see back there if you are short and have to lay across the top of the engine. All was good until one mysterious day when the '93 ZJ died. New coil, no run, new fuel, no run, new spark plugs and wires, no run. Seems the Distributor runs off the camshaft and to avoid wear on metal to metal gears inside the engine the gear on the end of the distributor shaft is made of fibre-material (someone will know the tech name). The gear will wear out intentionally in the 300,000 mile life of jeeps like mine and fail one day unexpectedly. FYI, simple fix is a new distributor dropped in the hole and save a lot of headache and money throwing parts at your Jeep. Of course if you have a pretty wife she may throw the parts back at you and keep the money, but that's another story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.