98 TJ and a supercharger? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 TJ and a supercharger?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
CaseyTibbs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ and a supercharger?

OK.... This situation is a bit complicated and some might even say comical.

A little over a month ago I bought a very nice 98 TJ (out of western Utah) that someone has put alot of upgrades on. Most noticeable at first glance is a Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm Extreme duty lift with the mega short SYE and a lengthened rear drive shaft. I believe it has the "Sport" package... it does have a Dana 44 rear end with a D30 front (but no lockers and I don't even know how they are geared). It also has the 3 speed automatic. Its running 33 x 12.50 R15 LT's.... But it also has an upgrade that is very uncommon and the source of my quandary:

A Rotrex C38-61 supercharger on a practically new (very low mileage)rebuilt 4.0 liter engine. When I bought it, the supercharger was not engaged (serpentine rerouted), and when I had the dealer hook it up, it worked great but on a nearly 100 degree day here in Grand Junction, it very quickly caused over heating issues as it pushes a lot of hot air into the manifold with no innercooler to reduce the air temp between the SC pump and the intake. This was obviously why the previous owner had disabled it. Now they had upgraded to a double size radiator but had not lowered the radiator to compensate for a 1.5" BL and consequently cut out the bottom 1/3 of the fan shroud, and to make things worse had put on a Flex-a-lite fan.... so basically not much air is being pulled through the radiator and the SC's oil cooler.

According to what I have found out talking to the companies that are Rotrex dealers and from what I can gather off of Rotrex's web site this $2,200 ++ parts package could/ should take this engine from 190HP up to 350+HP at moderately high RPM's. But with my drive train I'm afraid this might be too much power. Since at this point I'm not sure of my diffs' gearing I'm also not sure if any of the the components, axles, u-joints, etc. have been upgraded as well. I'm not really interested in extreme rock crawling just for the sport of it but I do want to be able to pull a relatively heavy trailer (~2000# total) of camping gear into some pretty remote places for camping, hunting and fishing trips.(BTW: I am aware that my highway driving with this load must be very conservative.) And since most of these places are without cellular service and since we usually fly solo, I really don't want to bust up my drive train out in the big middle of the "ultimate thules" just because of too much power.

Now I'm pretty sure that a thermostatic electric radiator fan, a "flow-cooler" water pump and an engine oil cooler, along with hood louvers will take care of the heat issue, and if necessary I'll engineer in an innercooler, to get it to the point that I can run the supercharger.... but I'm not sure that the supercharger isn't more trouble than its worth, and perhaps I should just consider selling it.... For instance: I really like the idea of a "Super Chips" trail dash but with the 4.0 "supercharged" all it would be is just a fancy electronic touch screen gauge as there are no "tunes" worked out for that modification, nor any other after market "flash tuners" that can accommodate a 300+ HP supercharged AMC 4.0 liter engine for that matter... Or: I'd like to put taller tires on, say 35" or 36's, but that will put even more resistance on the ground and on my drive train and with that much more than "stock power" (300++ HP??) gearing my diff's down for bigger tires might be the opposite of what I want to do if I want to avoid "twisting something off".

Obviously the previous owner was on his way to creating a very capable rig, but stopped short. I'm probably not going to be going after any "grade 5's" over at Moab and although this rig is very close to being that capable, with its nice paint job and custom "pen-striping" it would be a shame to scrape it across a bunch of rocks (or worse) just for the sport of it.

So.... I know there are a bunch of very knowledgeable folks here with alot of different perspectives about jeeps and what they should or shouldn't be....
I'm not very experienced with the current "state of the art", either in terms of equipment or ideals.... I think the supercharger has less than 500 miles on it and I think I could get a pretty good price for it....

So what would you do???

Deadwood, SD
August 1959
CaseyTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Myjeepdestroys

Rock that jeep like it's one of a kind. Still have overheating issues? I love my 98 wrangler.
Myjeepdestroys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Keep the SC, and fix all the bad stuff done by the OP. Get a intercooler and you will be fine.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
CaseyTibbs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think that getting it all to work is certainly do-able.... but I'm not at all convinced that I need it nor am I willing to risk the damage that it potentially may do to my engine.... and/ or drive train.... I think I'll sell it to someone that wants the challenge and it all entails..... so thanks for the input guys!!!

Deadwood, SD
August 1959
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
toxikmo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How much
toxikmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

X2 Whats it cost for you to ship that setup this way?? Heck ill drive up and get it even..
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

I had an avenger supercharger, there is no way in hell you are near 350hp. A 175hp increase on a stock motor?! Lolololololololol
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post
I had an avenger supercharger, there is no way in hell you are near 350hp. A 175hp increase on a stock motor?! Lolololololololol
This is what I was thinking. Ripps add about 120. I would think it would be comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
CaseyTibbs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
This is what I was thinking. Ripps add about 120. I would think it would be comparable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post

Originally I was told to expect around 30% increase in torque and a little more in HP.... then a Rotrex distributor said they took an FJ Crusier from 188 to 350 HP, but I looked further into that claim and it was with a C38-81 and a self contained aftercooler. (air to water w/ icebox?)

So I'm guessing that 260 - 300 hp with this is more likely...

I'm going to Denver today to ask a shop about what my options are with this system and what I should be concerned about... Still thinking I want to sell it though as I really don't see needing the power and there seems to be very little available info about how to optimize the hardware: i.e. how to cool it, monitor it, tune it, and adjust it.

I think the Rotrex superchargers are way up there as far as quality and technology goes, but I'm afraid it all may be over my head. The farthest I'll drive it is probably the west entrance into Canyonlands (3.5 hrs.), and when I pull the trailer I'm certainly going to take my time and take frequent breaks.

If I was younger I'd probably love the challenge, but these days I'm probably more concerned about reliability, and versatility.

I'm going to talk to a shop here in GJ tomorrow that has a couple of guys that are big into superchargers as well, so by wendsday hopefully I'll be more educated.

I'll have an idea by then what its worth .... hopefully....
I'll try to get some photos of the components as they are installed on my TJ as well.
Deadwood, SD
August 1959
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
CaseyTibbs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rotrex Supercharger "set up" for 98 TJ 4.0 IL 6 --- Any Offers?

Here's whats going...
Rotrex C38-61 Supercharger set up for 98 jeep Wrangler 4.0 IL6:
http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Technolog..._Overview.aspx

1. Rotrex C38-61 Supercharger w/ 90 mm pulley
2. Self contained Rotrex oil system with magnetic filter & large oil cooler
3. Custom length v ribbed serpentine drive belt
4.Precision charge piping welded from mandrel bent aluminum and a custom AM throttle body
5. HKS SSQV turbo style blow off valve w/ manifold return hose and dump tube
6. All stainless fasteners on oil system & where ever else possible
7. ForcedAirPerformance supercharger mounting bracket w/ Drive belt idler pulley
8. Customized air fillter box with large panel type K & N filter and purpose built composite inlet piping
9. Supercharging Performance Handbook by Jeff Hartman (2011)

Will need:
A. 1 qt. Rotrex Traction Fluid (not salvageable when dismantled)
Probably:
B. Custom built innercooler (air to air)... or better - custom aftercooler system (air to water)
C. FMU (electronic fuel management) module, tune, or chip?
Possibly:
D. Custom AM injector set
Definately:
E. Someone with the motivation and the knowledge to make all this work together as a system...

I'm told to expect 12 - 16 +HP/ 1 psi of boost, and that the 4.0 IL6 will easily handle 4 - 7 psi boost.

(The parts list for ~$3.2K .... It has less than 50 miles on it.... just enough to figure out that it needs charged air cooling and a different FMU especially in this area in the summer.)

This will be offered "as is" - a work in progress.

P.M. me for photos.... serious inquiries only please.

So any offers?
Deadwood, SD
August 1959
Unread 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I personally wouldn't buy this. A LS swap is cheaper and lighter. More work, but more worth it for the money.

But Good luck with the sale!!

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I dont see why this setup would need an intercooler? Many supercharged engines do not run them. Leads me to believe the vehicle has a problem . Ill give you $500 for the whole setup.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.