98 tj 4.0L engine problems help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 tj 4.0L engine problems help!!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
j3rs3yd3vil
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 tj 4.0L engine problems help!!

ok so to start out my oil presure has been fluctuating from mid to extreme lows on the gauge.. And my idle sems weird to me idk if it's always been this low but it idles at 800 rpm... Ok so now to the main prolem, when I'm driving all the sudden my jeep starts making a loud popping noise and starts stalling so instinctivley I step on the clutch and give it more gas but it will not let me go anywhere and continues to violently pop until I pull over and give it a beather.. But now when I come to stops my idle drops to a near 200rpm!!! This is really freaking me out and this is my dd so I need it fixed.... I'm not an amazing mechani but somthing tells me it the computer or the exhaust is bloked?!? Please help....

,matt

j3rs3yd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the exhaust could be clogged and/or the fuel pressure is dropping off. I had a truck that would backfire "popping" and stall on me due to the fact my pressure was too low for any power. Once the pump cooled a little it would be fine until it warmed up again. It was so bad I did even have power going down hill. I had to stop at a gas station and I kicked the crap out of the bottom of the tank. I didn't have any issues after that, but the pump was replaced. I have also worked on cars that would loose power after they had warmed up due to the cats being clogged. The easiest way to check for this is to pull the up stream O2 sensors out and then drive it again. Its loud but it allows the engine to get the exhaust out. When they are clogged they act like a exhaust brake. I would try getting the vehicle to act up again. Remove the up streams and then drive it again. Make sure to use heat on the Exhaust to help loosen the O2's. Sometimes the threads in the exhaust like to come out with the sensors. I have remove threads before and you can either try to tap them back or replace the exhaust and that would suck if the cats. weren't the problem.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
j3rs3yd3vil
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help I'll try this as soon as I get home, I also found out that my first cylinder does not fire at all in idle but when I give it some more gas it seems to kik in? Idk I also might check my crankshaft positioning sensor to see if that's causing any problems
j3rs3yd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.