98 tj 4.0 major power loss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 tj 4.0 major power loss

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
creepyjeep420
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 tj 4.0 major power loss

i have a 98 jeep wrangler with the 4.0 inlne 6. i had trouble with it sputtering for a while. well i had to cut part of the pipe off my muffler due toi wrapping it around my rear axle 4 wheeling. the way i cut it off it burnt a fist size hole in my gas tank. so i replaced with a tank from a 97 i think. it was smaller and had one of the breather tubes in a diffrent spot (i think it was breather). so my sputtering quit for a little while but now when i crank it up it will hardly run if i can even get it to crank. it seem to sound pretty good but i have about 1/2 the power i usually have. my jeep has had wireing problems since i got it. turn signals, brake lights and now horn and windshield wipers. its like there mixed up. i turn my lights on and the windshield wipers come on! when i put one on the blinkers on both of them come on and blink.. the guy that had it before me put a pretty nice radio and speakers in. think that is what started all this. my check engine light has been on and off probally 50 times in the past year but hasent been on in a while. im stupmed right now, i can deal with the turn signals and stuff being messed up but i bought a 6cyl for the power and would really like it back. i had it out four wheeling the other day and had it leaning to the right pretty hard and noticed it started leaking gas. thats where i will start maby the ring on the gas tank has come loose . someone suggested fuel filter but idk where or if it has one. so if anyone knows a good way to flush out the fuel lines and check the filter (if it has one) also i have heard some thing about a sensor in the steering wheel but i have no idea what it does or what it does.

if anyone can help me on any part of this any suggestions would be awesome!
one last thing when my gas tank got burn through it caught on fire. didnt look like anything got burnt or messed up but thought i would throw that in there. thanks

creepyjeep420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
dwampler07

I can't answer your loss of power problem but I think the problem that your having with your lights, windshield wipers, etc. is because of the multifunction switch. I just had problems with mine and disconnected the battery overnight and I think the switch reset. The lights, wipers, and everything are all wired through the switch and I think its a pretty common occurrence.
dwampler07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , power loss , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.