98 tj 4.0 engine knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 tj 4.0 engine knock

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
ltonfiremedic

98 tj 4.0 engine knock

130,000 miles on her... when there is a little lug on the engine, I notice a knock in the engine and some light blue smoke. Any ideas as to where I need to start looking? Not one that diagnose easily but I can turn a wrench... thanks

ltonfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
higgins192
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a typical lifter knock mine just recently got worst. I'm going to replace my lifters and clean the valves
higgins192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
JeeperCreepers7

Is it throwing any codes?
JeeperCreepers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
ltonfiremedic

No codes. No loss in power. want to prevent it crapping out...
ltonfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
higgins192
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat! Recent searches of YouTube videos show that a stuck valve can bend your pushrods which can make tick and knock. Best thing to do IMO is remove your valve cover and check your push rods. You might have to rebuild your cylinder head but it's easy work as long as you have the right tools.
higgins192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.