98 tj 4.0.cranks but wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 tj 4.0.cranks but wont start

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
thatguy69

98 tj 4.0.cranks but wont start

98 tj cranks but wont start.fuel pump primes but injectors do not fire any fuel into cylinders.i have checked all fuses,changed both battery terminals and replaced my crank positioning sensor.my spotlight wires got a cut in them and shorted out,and now this popped up.i have checked all fuses im aware of.anybody got any advice?thanks in advance

Unread 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Back probe the connector to your cps. Check to see if you have a 5v reference signal. This will tell you a) if your computer is alive and b) the wire integrity to the cps is good

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using JeepForum
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
thatguy69

am i checking this while cranking?or while the ignition is in accessory? which wire also.and is there a schematic or manual i can download?
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
countrycruiser

If you can see it, here is a wireing diagram. crank sensor is at the bottom of the pic. just back probe with the key on, not cranking. it should be 5v
jk-crank.gif  
countrycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
thatguy69

I'm getting 10.4 volts on the backfeed plug.is that ok?;
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
countrycruiser

If you are getting 10v on the orange wire going to the crank sensor, somthing is definitly not right. there must be a wire shorted to that org wire somwhere or the pcm is shorted out. if you trace the wire all the way and nothing is shorted to it, then check the org wire coming out of the pcm for 5v reference. if its still 10v then I would suspect the pcm.
countrycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
thatguy69

Like a bad pcm or a bad input wire going to my pcm?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.