98 JGC chugging problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 98 JGC chugging problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Profire73

98 JGC chugging problem

OK I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee that has about 116,000 miles on it with the 4.0L. It is a 4x4 Larado Package. I recently had the muffler replace and after that i would drive it for about 5 miles and it would act like someone was turning the fuel on and off. I would lose all power and have to pull over and wait for it to go away. It would last about 15 minutes and you could smell a load of fuel until it went away. It would then run normal again until you drive if a couple of miles.

Now i took it back to the shop and they said i need a new converter. I took it back home and cut the converter out and put a straight pipe in. Still does the same thing. I checked the fuel pressure and it runs at about 47lbs so that should be good.

I am not sure what i am missing but i hear alot of people talking about either the TPS or AIC.....could either of these cause this problem? I am going to test the TPS (after reading the posts .25 - .50 volts i think). Any other ideas? It does only happen when warm and there are no exhaust leaks.

Thanks in advance.

Profire73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
wheelin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

make sure the muffler isnt plugged
wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Profire73

I am going to take the muffler off to make sure but I am kinda thinking that maybe its my Crank Sensor.

Cause the problem will go away and then reoccur in a matter of 15 minutes. I would think that if the muffler was clogged I would have the problem on more of a constant basis. But then again I am not a mechanic and that is why I am here picking everyone else's brain.

On another note: I do not have the O2 sensor that was in the converter hooked up right now......would this make it run like that? I thought it would just give me the check engine light and also i could see my fuel mileage go down. Is there another O2 sensor that could be doing this.
Profire73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
mrquazy

Any updates on this? I might be having the same problem..
mrquazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.