97 TJ Automatic - Only moves in 4WD - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

97 TJ Automatic - Only moves in 4WD

Today as I began to pull away from a stop light there was a lot of grinding and suddenly my Jeep would not move. I tried switching between D, 1, 2 and none of them would get it going again. I finally tried putting it into 4Hi and I could drive and get going again. Once I got to work I tried putting it back into 2Hi while it was parked, and even in park it didn't seem to take, rolling out of the spot while I was in it. On the drive home there was a fair amount of chirping/noise that would come and go as I was driving (still in 4Hi).

I've checked the transfer case linkage and looks like it's fine. I can shift between 4Hi/N/4Lo just fine, and drive. Only 2Hi has any issue. The rear driveshaft is still there, and it's moving when I have it in 2Hi.

Am I definitely looking at a new rear diff? And if so, anybody have an idea what to expect as far as cost? This is in Vancouver BC.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 PM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like an internal problem in the rear differential. Could be a sheared pinion, ring gear came loose, blown spider gears... won't know until you pull the diff cover off and take a look.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 15 Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Sounds like an internal problem in the rear differential. Could be a sheared pinion, ring gear came loose, blown spider gears... won't know until you pull the diff cover off and take a look.

Yea that's what I was worried about. Any advice for checking it out? I've never opened up my diff before.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Not much to opening them. Get a catch pan for the fluid, loosen the cover bolts and let it drain, then remove the cover bolts and pop the cover off.
Once it's off, spin the drive shaft by hand and see what's what...

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 15 Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Not much to opening them. Get a catch pan for the fluid, loosen the cover bolts and let it drain, then remove the cover bolts and pop the cover off.
Once it's off, spin the drive shaft by hand and see what's what...
Ah thanks. I think I'll just be going through a shop at this point. I don't have a garage/driveway to work in, and I'd rather not do work this involved on the side of a fairly busy street. Thanks for the info, I'll try to remember to put in an update once it's all figured out.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-14-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So they're telling me it's at least the spider gears and carrier assembly, possibly needing a crown and pinion as well. They're also going to pull the axles and look them over for any damage. For just the spider gears/carrier the quote is $1100-1200. Full rebuild they're saying 4-5 hours labour. Is this way out of line? Or a fair price considering the amount to be replaced.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It depends on what axle you have, if it's track-loc and what type/mfg of parts they are going to use. There's a wide range of costs in the parts involved. The labor time doesn't seem out of line, but not knowing their hourly rate doesn't help do the math...
You could shop for a complete used axle, but there's no guarantee it'll be any good and the labor cost would most likely go up.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #8 of 15 Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It depends on what axle you have, if it's track-loc and what type/mfg of parts they are going to use. There's a wide range of costs in the parts involved. The labor time doesn't seem out of line, but not knowing their hourly rate doesn't help do the math...
You could shop for a complete used axle, but there's no guarantee it'll be any good and the labor cost would most likely go up.
Went and saw everything. I'm looking at nearly $2000. Shop rate is $110/hr. New crown and pinion, diff case, diff internals, spider gears, plus seals/bearings/oil, and one of my driveshaft u-joints is bad, plus 5 hours of labour. I asked about just replacing an entire axle assembly, but it would end up at nearly the same price point. 3.07 geared Dana 35 isn't really common around here I guess. Can't find much on car-parts.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

OK...so on Quadratec I see:
3.07 ring and pinion gears by Crown $250
Master overhaul kit (all bearings, shims and seals) $140 - Make sure they use Dana Spicer on this and the u-joint
Diff case with spider gears and all internals by Crown, ready to drop in $385 for non-trac-loc
U-joints are ~$15
Fluids maybe $60 if they use good synthetic fluid

That's $790 in parts
Plus $550 labor
Totals $1340 before taxes and misc shop/supply charges.

They could find higher quality ring/pinion and carrier that would bump the price up some. I suspect they are marking the parts up to full blown retail, while you can get them for much less online yourself. Many shops won't allow for that though, or will not warranty the work if you supply your own parts.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #10 of 15 Old 09-14-2017, 11:07 PM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The OP is in Canada. Assuming his quote is in Canadian dollars, $2000 would work out to just over $1600 American... not far off from the pre-tax and shop supply price you came up with.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The OP is in Canada. Assuming his quote is in Canadian dollars, $2000 would work out to just over $1600 American... not far off from the pre-tax and shop supply price you came up with.
Yea it's $1980 CAD with taxes in. He suspects he could knock a bit off depending on finding a used diff case or gears, maybe down to $1800 if I'm lucky.

Quote:
OK...so on Quadratec I see:
3.07 ring and pinion gears by Crown $250
Master overhaul kit (all bearings, shims and seals) $140 - Make sure they use Dana Spicer on this and the u-joint
Diff case with spider gears and all internals by Crown, ready to drop in $385 for non-trac-loc
U-joints are ~$15
Fluids maybe $60 if they use good synthetic fluid

That's $790 in parts
Plus $550 labor
Totals $1340 before taxes and misc shop/supply charges.

They could find higher quality ring/pinion and carrier that would bump the price up some. I suspect they are marking the parts up to full blown retail, while you can get them for much less online yourself. Many shops won't allow for that though, or will not warranty the work if you supply your own parts.
He quoted me for all new stuff, but may be able to find used/rebuilt to knock some off. This is all the major stuff in CAD.
3.07 crown and pinion $295
Diff case $250
Diff internals $287 - I think this is bull after looking a bit, everything I can find lists it around $150

The rest adds up quickly. Wheel bearings for both sides is $70, seals and oil all contribute a bit. I am going to check in tomorrow to see if I can bring in my own rebuild kit and case. Ordering it all online would give me free shipping, and probably save me a few hundred bucks.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 11:48 AM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It would be wise to ask the shop that'll do the work what their policy is on installing customer provided parts. Quite often they will not warranty or accept liability for any problems that may arise if they didn't order and install their own parts.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 15 Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I tried to go that route but they aren't willing to put in customer parts, since if something goes wrong they can't say for sure if it's their labour or my part that caused it.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
jaylew
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update

So just as a last update, I decided to just bite the bullet and pay for the fix. If I had more time I probably would have replaced it/upgraded or taken it to another shop/Harry, but I just needed my vehicle back. The shop was very upfront and kept me up to date as they found things. Also replaced the rear u-joint in my rear driveshaft. Total was $1920. Around $1100 for parts, $550 for labour, and then fluids/taxes. Imgur link below shows everything they gave back to me and any obvious damage I could find. Thanks for all the help everyone.

https://imgur.com/a/yi1Gf
post #15 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 04:59 PM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear you're back up and running.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Tags
drive line , drive shaft , engine , rear differential , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.