97 Jeep Cherokee Country - Loud rattle from underneath the engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 97 Jeep Cherokee Country - Loud rattle from underneath the engine

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Drewcious

97 Jeep Cherokee Country - Loud rattle from underneath the engine

Hey All,

New to this forum. I was recently given a 97 Jeep Cherokee country from my dad. Jeep has close to 200,00 miles but overall has been kept in great condition with minor general repairs here and there. About a month ago i started hearing a low rattle from underneath the engine and since then it has gotten progressively worse when at a stop or idle. It sounds like rocks rattling around or like the engine is falling apart. First thought is the cat cause my dad said it did need to be replaced fairly soon according to his mechanic but the cat is pretty far back. This sound is right under the engine area. The exaust sounds normal but it seems like at idle it misfires a bit. What could this be?? Thanks!

Drewcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Terry777
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Crawl under and check if the heat shield plate around the cat is lose and rattling. If that`s it get some over sized ring clamps the ones with the screws and mate 2 together and put it around the cat and tighten it up. Worked great on my Acura and only cost me about $5.
Terry777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

What engine? Sounds like maybe the cats bad. Too much back pressure.
Does it do it cold or at temp?
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Drewcious

It does it at both but i think i determined the problem. The water pump. Ive noticed over the weekend my coolant res kept losing antifreeze and noticed the pully for the water pump jiggling. Took it to a mechanic earlier and hes pretty sure its the water pump too. I hope thats all it is but i do think i need to replace the cat next anyway.
Drewcious is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.