95 zj 5.2 engine and trans. swap into a 98 tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 95 zj 5.2 engine and trans. swap into a 98 tj

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-17-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
98cheesetj

95 zj 5.2 engine and trans. swap into a 98 tj

has any one done a 5.2 eng. and trans swap. i have a drive train from a 95 grand cherokee and am thinking of putting it in my 98 sahara. the engine is 3 inch's shorter than a 4.0l, but the o.d auto trans. is 6 inch's longer. i dont want a shorter drive shaft either.

98cheesetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cheesetj
<SNIP>
the engine is 3 inch's shorter than a 4.0l, but the o.d auto trans. is 6 inch's longer. i dont want a shorter drive shaft either.
Well then, obviously (do the simple math), you'll have some frame/body stretching to do. You can only move the engine forward about an inch.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
JeepCrawler_98

Comp cut and move the axle back a few inches You dont need a new driveshaft - you can get it retubed/rebalanced for about 60 bucks to the proper length at most drivetrain shops, but obviously it will be shorter (steeper driveling angle = poop).

So! Drop in that short engine, move it as far forward as you can and maintain proper fan-to-radiator clearance, then get a hold of a shorter tranny - it will probably have to be a non-overdrive, OR you can install a Dana 300 and flip it - these are shorter then the NP-231.
Unread 08-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some states don't allow an engine that is older than the model year of the vehicle it is being installed in. I know California is one of those states, can you do that in whatever state (guessing Il) you're in?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
StealthTJ

Actually, I believe, that is a Fed regulation, but I think some states don't check/enforce it, during vehicle inspections.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #6
98cheesetj

i guess i could get crazy and relocate the fuel tank, cut the fenders straight back and install a leaf spring rear axle w/d60,
like dpg offroad did.
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
JeepCrawler_98

Oh please, thats not even brushing the dust off of the word "Crazy"
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:02 PM   #8
98cheesetj

by the way does anyone need a detroit locker for a d44 had 4.56 gears on it
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:05 PM   #9
98cheesetj

to me it is when i still need the rear seat to haul my two little ones, or buddys down at the sand dunes in oklahoma
(litttle sahara)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.