95 YJ Brake Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 95 YJ Brake Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 11-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Fisher11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ Brake Problem

Hi Guys, I have a strange problem with my brakes and I have searched and can't find anyone with a similar issue. The brake system on my 95 YJ is in pretty good shape. Many parts were replaced by PO (master cylinder, calipers, rotors, some brake lines). I have an intermittent problem where after a period of driving the jeep (seems random....maybe 30-45 minutes), I suddenly get a high stiff brake pedal. The pressure builds and usually one of the front brakes start to apply on his own. It's basically like driving with a frozen caliper so I am forced to pull over.

If I wait for a period of 30-40 minutes for the vehicle to completely cool down, the problem completely goes away and the brakes work perfectly again. This issue seems to happen when the vehicle gets warm...not necessarily the brake system gets warm. This happened the other day when I was driving on the beach for 40 minutes. During that period of time I probably didn't use the brakes at all (the sand stops the vehicle) and this issue happened.

Any thoughts? Proportional value? Master Cylinder? I am at a loss and really don't want to start replacing parts of the brake system without some intelligence first. Since it is intermittent, it is tough to even duplicate and have a professional look at.

Thank you.

Fisher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Caliper hanging up heating rotor rotor expands brakes hang up more and more.

Calipers are cheap get a new pair. Scuff the old pads with some sand paper.

First look at the area on the knuckle where the brake pads slide. Look for burrs on the metal or excessive wear. If you find anything file it out smooth. Lightly grease and re assemble.

Unless you had the brake booster out it could be the adjustment on the bullet that contacts the piston in the Master Cylinder.

All I got

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Next time the brakes hang up take a look at the color of all your rotors. If anyone of them has bluish/purplish/redish sheen to them and is really hot the caliper is junk.

One poaible reason:
When a pads get thin the caliper piston is mostly out. It has a phonelic resin coating. When you shove them back in that coating delaminates from the metal portion of the piston and jams the caliper out. Each time you hit the brakes it tightens the caliper up against the brake pads/rotor.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
Fisher11
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I thought it was a sticking caliper originally and replaced both of them. The pads and rotors are also very new. The fact that the brake pedal is high and extremely stiff doesn't seem like a stuck caliper. I have been doing quite a bit of searching and reading and I saw something about the piston in the Master Cylinder not being able to fully return and causing pressure to build up. This sounds like a possible cause though my M/C is also very new.

I may have to just try to swap some parts...the hard part is that it is an intermittent problem so it is tough to tell if you fixed it! Any help thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Fisher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Next thought is the brake booster or a vacuum problem with the bb.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.