95 wrangler 2.5l auto trans problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 95 wrangler 2.5l auto trans problem

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
aprofiveliter

95 wrangler 2.5l auto trans problem

I just purchased a 1995 wrangler 2.5l auto trans and if you put it in drive it seems like the trans is not fully engaging but if you manually shift it ,it works great ,fluid is clean and no smells ,any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated ,thanks

aprofiveliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
aprofiveliter

Anybody got any ideas
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a few minor things wrong with it.........

For 1,it has a cable adjustment on the throttle,you will see it at the throttle linkage,there will be 2 cables coming off the throttle arm,1 is the gas pedal,and the other is the kickdown cable..this kickdown cable also controls the shifts on the trans,such as how long the gears stay in that gear until shifting to the next...you will see the adjustment on the cable up by the valve cover...try changing that a little one way or the other and see if that helps..there is a little button to push and adjust it in or out of the bracket...i have the same year 2.5 YJ auto too and have had to adjust that a few times.

Another thing could be linkage adjustment...i'm not quite sure what you are saying,but from what i am reading you are shifting it into "D" and it seems to slip a bit into gear?..if so...then the shifter linkage could be loose or out of adjustment and not putting it all the way into drive.

Another possibilty is the previous owner could of had it in deep water and water is in the trans fluid and causing it to do funky things....i know this first hand..lol..i've had mine the river quite a few times and had to flush the fluids out and refill with fresh and that solved some minor shifting issues...the fluid still looks like new,but has water content in it
If you decide to change the fluid,you need to flush the old fluid out so there is no water left anywhere in the valvd body and torque converter...

Drain your pan....then take the return line off at the trans....use a clear hose that will fit over the end of the return line tight,maybe even add a small hose clamp to make it stay on there and have a drain pan or bucket to catch the fluid....
Fill the trans up with fresh fluid,then hopefully have a buddy to help...let him start the Jeep up and only let it idle,if you rev it up it shoot fluid out the hose crazy fast and pobabl;y soak you and everything else around the area(ask me how i know..lol)..watch the fluid come out of the hose until it is the new fresh fluid,then put it all back together and top off with fluids....
I wouldn't let it run long while pushing the old fluid out and run the pan dry,do it a few times and only let a few quarts at most at a time drain before shutting it off and adding a few more quarts to top it off and continue the process untill new clean fluid comes out.

These transmissions have a vent hole right behind the torque converter on the pump housing,it's low enough that it easily takes in water.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
aprofiveliter

Thanks for the insight,I have adjusted the cable several times,only changed shift points,fluid is fresh.
If output the jeep in drive and try to pull off it seems like your in secound gear when you pull off but the trans is definitely in drive,but if you manually shift through the gears it fills great,I've tried adjusting the linkage ,is there a solenoid in the trans that may cause this problem?
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprofiveliter View Post
Thanks for the insight,I have adjusted the cable several times,only changed shift points,fluid is fresh.
If output the jeep in drive and try to pull off it seems like your in secound gear when you pull off but the trans is definitely in drive,but if you manually shift through the gears it fills great,I've tried adjusting the linkage ,is there a solenoid in the trans that may cause this problem?
I'm no trans "expert",just giving what expereinces i've had with the same exact year Jeep and trans....

You said you tried adjusting the linkage..does the Jeep have a lift and someone put a transfer case drop on it?...mine has one and because of the drop on the drivetrain it caused the shifter to be out of line when putting it into gear..may want to investigate that a lil more if it has a transfer drop.

You said it has fresh fluid,did you do it your self or does it look fresh?...as i said before,mine had water in it but yet the fluid looked brand new...

Try this for another process of elimination...

Put it in drive while it's not running..crawl underneath to get to the trans linkage..unhook the linkage off the arm and put the trans manualy through the gears and when it gets to the "drive" gear,line up your linkage and see if it's off and maybe pulling or pushing it too far.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
aprofiveliter

Jeep is completely stock,all shift points are correct,I've read other forums and some of them suggest a "governor solenoid" and a "Tcc solenoid",have you heard of either of these giving this kind of trouble?
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprofiveliter View Post
Jeep is completely stock,all shift points are correct,I've read other forums and some of them suggest a "governor solenoid" and a "Tcc solenoid",have you heard of either of these giving this kind of trouble?
I've "heard" of both of them..but again i'm no trans expert....what i have heard from my regular Transmision shop guy is these transmissions are pretty tough,but most of the problems when they start having them is a failed torque converter... and most of the prblems with any auto trans is the fact no one changes the fluid and filter regularly..he told me the best is around 12-14k to change the fluid and filter..it makes sense if you think about it,no matter how good the trans is..fluids still break down after time...........

I'm not sure where those solenoids are..internal or external..if they are external,,maybe an easy cheap fix..it they are inside the trans other than near the valve body just inside the pan..than it will most likely need a whole tear down and rebuild just to get to it and replace it.

Wish you luck and hope its an easy cheap fix...

Just 1 more "thought"..i never got an answer if YOU changed the fluids are someone else said they did..

those transmissions take ATF+4 which pretty high in price..so alot fo people will opt out for a cheaper ATF and use it,but in the long run can do some damage..........

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
aprofiveliter

Thanks for the pick list and the info,have a great 4th.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.