95 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2 liter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2 liter

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
brokenmoonlit

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2 liter

Hi guys. I bought this jeep off of craiglists a month ago. First couple of days I had no problems and then they began to arise. My husband tells me that I should just junk it but I have fallen in love and I do not believe these are serious problems. Can you give me some imput as to what I should do. I have also done some research so I have some ideas..... Here it goes.......
1) I am having problems shifting. The car revs up between 2-3k before shifting, and it sounds like I am stomping on the gas, when I am not really doing that. I think that it is the speed sensor on the transmission? Any thoughts on this?
2) All of the sudden it overheats and the antifreeze pours out. I have to wait on it to cool down add more antifreeze in it and it will drive fine for a while, then it will do it again. I am thinking thermostat and maybe a flushing.
3) Coolant Level Low sign keeps coming on computer dashboard. I am thinking this is the coolant temperature sensor... I have already bought one just need to put it on......
4) It sounds like the lifters are chattering. I believe this is due to the problems on it from 1,2,3.????
Please share some thoughts with me on this? I only paid 1200 for the jeep, because the guy thought it was stuck in 4wd high he was just wrong lol.He just didnt know how to put it in 2wd. It took my brother to work on it...... for two minute and it was fixed. Any helpful info would be great I am in love and don't want to get rid of it.
Thanks so much,
Kelly

brokenmoonlit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
amtap97zj

First thing. Check the trans fluid for proper level and look at the fluid. If its brown instead of red , the transmission may be done. If the fluid looks ok you could try replacing the speed sensor. Transmissions are very particular. You should only use atf plus 4. Any other type is not acceptable and can cause erratic syptoms. The overheating could be a faulty thermostat that is sticking closed. Might also be a worn seal on the radiator cap. ( cheap fix). If these do not cure the problem the radiator will most likey need to be replaced. The chttering noise in the engine should only be happening when the engine is overheated. I only hope when you overheated the jeep you did not continue driving. If you didnt shut it down right away there could be major engine damage. After completeing any repairs i would disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the computer. Good luck
amtap97zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If you've been overheating it enough to boil over the oil is ruined and will contribute to clattering. You may also be overheating the transmission fluid.

First things first, replace the thermostat or do whatever it takes to fix the overheating before you destroy the motor and transmission.

Once it runs at proper temperature you can change the oil and move on to troubleshooting the transmission.

Post over in the ZJ grand cherokee forum for better responses.

Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , lifters , overheat , speed sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.