95 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Steering issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 95 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Steering issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
redrose_Rocker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Steering issues

Hello,
I recently purchased a 95 Cherokee Laredo with high miles (160,xxx). I just needed something for occasional towing and for winter, this isn't a daily driver.

Right away I replaced the shocks (which I believe were original to the vehicle) and new brakes.

Right now I am trying to get something figured out.. When I am driving down the road the steering feels a little "loose"... i can wiggle it a little and it doesnt seem to affect the wheels. Also to go straight, the wheel needs to be turned slightly to the left, and when I am trying to make sharp left hand turn (such as parking) it makes a almost "clunking" sound.. possibly the tires rubbing.. I should mention that the jeep came with over sized off-roading tires (which are tons of fun in the snow!) so maybe this contributes to the issue.

I really do not want to put a lot of money into this vehicle, got it for a steal and would like to get these little bugs out. Any ideas?

redrose_Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

A quick and easy way to get an idea of what parts you need to replace is to go to a front end shop and ask for a written estimate and then go home and replace the parts yourself or have them do it. Along with high miles I would imagine the steering joints are inneed of replacement so you are looking at ball joints tie rod ends wheel unit hubs and while your in there front u-joints. When all is accomplished you can have the front end alignment done and center the steering wheel.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Nitronitty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Similar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose_Rocker View Post
Hello,
when I am trying to make sharp left hand turn (such as parking) it makes a almost "clunking" sound.. possibly the tires rubbing..
Interested as well since this describes my situation . . . No loose steering as my 98 TJ does track straight so the alignment is correct but when I make a tight turn like I was going in a circle it makes the cluncking noise and I was wondering as well if this was the tires rubbing or something worse -- my tires arent stock -- slightly larger than stock actually but not aggressive off road tires.

Nitty
Nitronitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.