93 xj shut off . Has fuel & fire but wont run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 93 xj shut off . Has fuel & fire but wont run

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
321madmax
1993 XJ Cherokee 

93 xj shut off . Has fuel & fire but wont run

I was driving to work and it abruptly shut off. It has fuel & spark. But it still wont run. Please help!! Im thinking possibly the timing chain but these motors are not known for issues like that. Besides its a baby only has 140,000 miles & regular oil changes. I changed the crank position sensor just to try it.

321madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
doghouse8632

Don't guess, u need 2 ruler out items. If u think the timing chain jumped, u would have low compression on all cylinders. How did u check 4 fuel psi. U need 2 test with a guage.... 35 psi needed 2 fuel the injectors...
doghouse8632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321madmax View Post
I was driving to work and it abruptly shut off. It has fuel & spark. But it still wont run. Please help!! Im thinking possibly the timing chain but these motors are not known for issues like that. Besides its a baby only has 140,000 miles & regular oil changes. I changed the crank position sensor just to try it.
First thing;
Does the CEL light up for several seconds when you turn the ignition to the ON position?

Next check DTC codes using a code reader or do the key on key off thing;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...eaning-677141/

If no DTC's do this next:
Remove the dizzy cap turn the key...watch the rotor. Does it turn? If it does then the TC didn't break.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.