93 cherokee straight 6 distributor gear stripped for the third time! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 93 cherokee straight 6 distributor gear stripped for the third time!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
JeffBratcher
1993 XJ Cherokee 

93 cherokee straight 6 distributor gear stripped for the third time!

I have had my jeep (93 xj 4.0L straight 6 with 150,000 miles) for a little over a year. It ran great for the first 6 months, and died on me one day on the way to work. It turned out the gear that drives the distributor was stripped half way down. I replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. I never could get it to run quite as smooth, lost a touch of power and a couple mpg, but it got me around. This went on for a few more months and it happened again. So I replaced the distributor with a better one and it ran better than ever that day! The next day it did it again before I got off my street. The gear on the camshaft looked ok the first 2 times, but on the third time it definitely was looking worn. I looked into what it would take to replace the camshaft, and it seems that I have to take a good part of the engine apart. Might as well rebuild it? Or else buy a remanufactured engine? Anyone have any experience with this problem? Or advice?

JeffBratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

That gear also drives the oil pump through the use of the distributor shaft..Hmmm.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
JeffBratcher
1993 XJ Cherokee 

That is correct. Oil pump is less than a year old
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Unles the cam gear had more damage than you realized the first time this happened....and it keeps eating dizzy gears now.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
JeffBratcher
1993 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I'm thinking. It is hard to see much of the gear on the camshaft in the little hole, and it may just be a part of the gear that is bad.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.