92 xj sport idles 2200 rpms i6 4.0 L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 92 xj sport idles 2200 rpms i6 4.0 L

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Dylan92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

92 xj sport idles 2200 rpms i6 4.0 L

Hello i have an xj sport that i just put the 4.0 l back in. I start it up and it wants to idle at 2000-2200rps i checked the timing as far as being 5 degrees before TDC. But still not luck i changed the tps sensor and iac sensor located on the throttlebody but still no luck i run the engine and then disconnect the tps and plug it back in and it has no effect on the performance on the engine what so ever. i dont have an OBD1 reader to check for codes neither does oriellys auto parts. so i cant check the codes. im thinking it maybe could be the intake manifold gasket there might be a vacuum leak that would be my only other guess but before taking that off again i would like some advice before i tackle that again. pls sincerly 92 xj sport 4.0l driver. thank you.

Dylan92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Definately sounds like a vacuum leak to me, check all your hoses. I did the intake gaskets on a 3.1 grand am once and forgot to connect one measly hose. First start up, it idled at 3300 rpm
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Dylan92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hey I looked thru the vacuum hoses still couldn't find anything but I think it might be a bad ecu because my tps has no change I checked the codes with obd1 it shows no errors but if I turn the key on and off three times I can get codes thru the check engine light I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake manifold and no leaks we're found so I'm stumped right now it could be bad computer that's my guess any more input would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is the throttle plate completely closed while attempting to get it to idle? Starting fluid is better for trying to find a vacuum leak.But it could flare up on a hot engine. Did you do ANYTHING before this problem started or did the problem start on its own?

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Dylan92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hey ron I pulled the engine and when I hooked everything back up it happened it ran great before pulled could it be a map sensor? And thanks for replying.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If all is hooked up correctly id still say vacuum leak. Did you take the manifolds off? The fuel rail ( lots of o-rings) to lose. Try strarting fluid to find the leak.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.