92 Cherokee 4.0 takes forever to start on a warm/hot day - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 92 Cherokee 4.0 takes forever to start on a warm/hot day

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
strykerman
1992 XJ Cherokee 

92 Cherokee 4.0 takes forever to start on a warm/hot day

I have a 92 Cherokee laredo that turns over and over and over and over before finally starting on a warm/hot day but if its a cold morning and it'll start right up most of the time..I replaced the ignition coil, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, replaced the head gasket, intake and exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket, change the oil and filter, cleaned the throttle body and seafoamed it hoping something I did would make it fire up easier and quicker but had no luck. Ideas?

strykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Heat soak, search it. The under hood heat makes it vapor lock sort of.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
strykerman
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I also forgot to mention when its hot and sitting for awhile and it finally starts up a blue cloud of smoke blows out my side pipe. Could I maybe not have enough back pressure in the exhaust? I'm running it with no Cat. but am running a glasspack with a 4" out the side.
strykerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.