'90 YJ sputtering at speed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
fchaleff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

'90 YJ sputtering at speed

Ok, this is my first post... be gentle

I just bought a 1990 YJ 6 cylinder 4.2L. It hadn't been running for a while when I bought it... the PO said it was a month, but who knows? I just replaced the belts, cleaned the carburetor, seafoamed the engine and the gas tank, changed the oil and put on a new oil filter (in terms of anything that would have an effect upon the engine).

Driving tonight at speed (65 mph) in fifth gear, engine sounds like it's sputtering. I gave it some gas and the engine sputtered some more. No speed increase or increase in RPMs. I dropped it into fourth, same issue.

Then I took it onto the shoulder and let it coast, dropped it into third and gave her some gas, and the engine sounded normal--no sputtering--, the speed picked up (as did the RPMs) when I gave it some gas. I shifted up into fourth, got back on the road and everything was good. Up into fifth again... no problems for the rest of the drive. Fuel filter? At first I thought it was the clutch since the RPMs weren't going anywhere and it felt the same way as my old car did when the clutch died. But there wasn't any sputtering when that happened. Any ideas?

Last edited by fchaleff; 06-21-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Back on a computer rather than a phone... easier to be more clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
fchaleff
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Last edited by fchaleff; 06-21-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: I took out redundant info.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 PM
lanny94
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Any help

post #4 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 PM
jokerchief462
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Plenty of things to conssider. The easy cheap stuff fuel filter, does it need a good tuneup look inside the cap at the contacts for each cylinder pull the plugs read the story of how it iis burning (pics attached), maybe the sputtering is from not running and you stirred up some debris in the tank and it clooged the filter sock in the tank.

Feul filter
Tune up (Rotor,cap wires, plugs)
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Plug Reading.jpg  

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #5 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Joker is prolly right here. Clogged filter will not feed enough fuel at high speed and a bad cap, wires or dirty plugs will do the same. Look for carbon tracing in and outside of the cap. Open the hood at night and see if there is a light show when you rev up the engine. ICM may also be at fault but check everything else first, its a $60 part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.