89 yj 4.2 engine building pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 89 yj 4.2 engine building pressure

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
mn_anderson

89 yj 4.2 engine building pressure

Hi i am new to this forum. I have just recently picked up this 89 yj wrangler with the 4.2 5spd, it didnt run when i got it and it need a it of work, i have it running now, but for the past week or so ive noticed oil on the garage floor. And today i took the air cleaner cover off and there was a pool of oil inside. It had also been pushing out the top of the cover where the bolt for the wing nut is. Can anyone tell me what the most likley problem is? Its seeming like its building up pressure and just pushing oil everywhere. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

mn_anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Post in YJ tech. You'll get more answers there. With what your describing though it sounds like the ccv is clogged and just needs a good cleaning. It's cheap and easy to do. Blow by is the other common culprit but don't borrow trouble yet. You should however also do a compression test. That will tell you if you have blowby

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I dont think the 4.2 had the CCV but maybe they did in the later years, anyway verify the CCV or PCV system is working and the vacuum line(s) are connected, not leaking or clogged. It is possible that the old engine is tired and the rings are wore causing excessive blow by. Blow by gasses getting passed the pistons and through the crankcase will pick up oil vapors and then they will collect in the tube or air filter housing. Dealing with this problem can get worse on engines that see high load and/or high speed like highway driving or towing.

If the cause is blow by then search for threads about making a catch can or draft tube. Some people route the breather tube down the engine toward the ground so it doesnt foul the air filter and intake with oil. Some people rig up a catch can to trap the oil too, both are easy mods.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.