89 YJ 2.5 5spd manual with "going problems" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 89 YJ 2.5 5spd manual with "going problems"

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!Bds suspension discount

Unread 09-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
LaParkier
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A list of what's been replaced while I can still remember:
Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injector, cap/rotor/plugs/wires, MAP sensor, MAT sensor, EGR valve, various vacuum lines(most notably, 3/8" line from throttle body to PCV valve and 5/32" line from fuel tank to carbon canister), and muffler

I've also had to do away with the rollover valve as it was the source of a major vacuum leak. I fashioned a frankenstein rollover valve which isn't even really a rollover valve at all and just serves to be a solid vacuum connection(I don't plan on rolling over anytime).

Some backstory is in order..
Bought it in 2004 and promptly rebuilt the engine. It had been driven from New York by its P.O. Aaand it had 130k on it. It had been running fine ever since. Last year in the middle of summer I was driving home from work, which was about 10mi from my house. I was doing probably 55 in a 45, nothing unusual, and it chugged. Just once, but on that day, the universe in which I owned a jeep that ran well just imploded.

I thought that maybe I was just running out of fuel, as it had chugged the same way when I was driving around with my dad while low on gas. Pretty sure I was under a quarter tank anyway. So I stop at a 7/11 and put half a tank in. It doesn't chug again for a month.

I'm driving around for my other job and it chugs twice. On the last chug, it sputtered and lost most of its power even though a was at half throttle. I figured maybe the fuel pump or the injector are bad. Buy those and put em in. It doesn't chug for 2 days. I drop the tank again and see that I pinched the line from the tank to the rollover valve. Boom, put the tank back up making sure not to pinch that line again. Doesn't chug for 6 months.

By this time its spring..ish(Vegas doesn't really have spring. The seasons are hot and less hot). And its been running just beautifully. Good gas mileage(well, 12-15mpg is good enough, right?), good power, blah blah..One day it just starts going nuts. I'd start it up and it would die right away, then I'd start it back up and it'd run like nothing happened. Then I'd go to drive it and wouldn't be able to make it out of the neighborhood because it would just chug and sputter incessantly.

I've since replaced all that stuff up at the top and am still experiencing the random chug and sputtering. I most recently replaced the EGR valve and MAT sensor. When I did the EGR, it ran fine for a day and a half, or long enough that I was able to drive it to my girlfriend's house and back the next day.

I'd read a few threads on here and noticed a lot of people with more or less the same issue I'm experiencing get suggestions to change the MAT and CTS. I replaced the MAT as soon as I could get to a parts store. Also tested CTS and the resistance values match specs in Haynes and Chilton manuals.

Still having problems. Please help! This thing is eating away at my soul!!!

Last edited by LaParkier; 09-10-2012 at 11:19 PM..
LaParkier is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.