89 4.0 (renix) controlled with a obd1 ecu. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 89 4.0 (renix) controlled with a obd1 ecu. Help!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
rafiki
1995 ZJ 

89 4.0 (renix) controlled with a obd1 ecu. Help!

I swamped my 95 GC. So I had to replace the engine. I grabbed a 89 Cherokee engine before I knew the engines were different. Right now the engine Mis fires and Rpms are bouncing around. I've swapped everything to the 89 engine. All electronics. Exhaust. And valve cover. I'm wondering if even tho this is a renix engine, with everything swapped over will my obd1 be able to control this engine ok? I have read there are differences in the head but I understood it was mostly air flow things. I still hVe the rad from the old engine and when it warms up I would be able to swap that on the new 89 engine. And help or advise would be great!

rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

What flexplate and dist did you use? guys swap the obd1 injection to 258s all the time so I dont know why you cant on a early 4.0
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
rafiki
1995 ZJ 

The jeep has the 95 flex plate installed. I read somewhere that the exhaust manifold(95) won't line up the intake ports on that head(89). So maybe that is messing up my fuel spray from the injectors? Seems like dirty injectors but they are new. I think my solution is to swap the heads but I thought I would ask before I do. It won't be until the spring anyway. It's over -30 where I live in the winter and I do my work in the driveway.
rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
The jeep has the 95 flex plate installed. I read somewhere that the exhaust manifold(95) won't line up the intake ports on that head(89). So maybe that is messing up my fuel spray from the injectors? Seems like dirty injectors but they are new. I think my solution is to swap the heads but I thought I would ask before I do. It won't be until the spring anyway. It's over -30 where I live in the winter and I do my work in the driveway.
No need to swap the heads.

Radiator will be fine. I bet your distributor isn't indexed correctly.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , cherokee , engine , renix , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.