83 CJ7 4.2 rebuild question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 83 CJ7 4.2 rebuild question

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
MDOVERALL

83 CJ7 4.2 rebuild question

I am new the forum and I have a fair condition 1983 CJ7 with a 258. When I get back from overseas I want to rebuild it with my sons, so I am doing some research now to hopefully make some smart decisions on the rebuild. I have read many threads and either find opposite opinions or I get lost in the technical details. I am going to have the 258 rebuilt, and my goal is to gain a little more power and improve the gas mileage (which I donít know if that can be done together). I dont rock crawl or anything, just to run errands and pull a boat every now and them. Rigth now everything is stock but I added a HEI distributer and it had a motor craft 2150 carb. Itís a stock 4 speed manual tranny and stock gears. I listed a few options I am considering below and would really appreciate any suggestions.

1. Rebuild the motor to stock, put on a new intake and header. (Considering Clifford stuff but would like any recommendations of other brands)

2. Rebuild the short block, have the 258 head rebuilt with 1.94 in intake and 1.5 in exhaust valves put in, 264 cam, with a new intake and header.

3. Rebuild it and leave it alone.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

MDOVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
MDOVERALL

one more option

One other option would be putting a 4.0 head on the 258...thanks Mike
MDOVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.