83 CJ engine upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 83 CJ engine upgrade

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 12-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Gobbler770

83 CJ engine upgrade

I have an 83 CJ with straight 4 GM 151. I want to upgrade to a V6 Is there an easy replacement engine that will require little to no modification to the bell housing or Tranny?

Gobbler770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Which transmission do you have?

The CJ forum has a lot of info on these. Do a simple 151 swap search and a bunch of info will pop up. Also Novak http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm has a lot of info as well. Pretty much any swap will require some change to drivetrain somewhere. If you have a weak transmission to start with (sr4 for example) keeping that would be silly after spending the effort to change the engine. I believe if you go to a GM motor you can still use your bellhousing.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.