'81 CJ 5 with 304 won't start after rebuild. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > '81 CJ 5 with 304 won't start after rebuild. Help!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Hellomrwilson
1981 CJ5 

'81 CJ 5 with 304 won't start after rebuild. Help!

Seems there is so much working against me with this bear.
I finally figured out my fuel issue and now have fuel. I have a new HEI distrubutor and it's delivering. The timing is set correctly. Firing order is correct, new plugs gapped correctly. My basic mechanics 101 is fire + gas= something outa happen. I just can't get the thing to crank for me.
The engine is turning over but not fast enough for my liking... it's tight after a fresh rebuild.
I have to get off the switch when I see the new solenoid begin to heat up.
The new hydraulic lifters are another issue. It appears they've bled down and #1 intake valve isn't working... all others are. I removed the rocker assembly and poured oil down the pushrod to assist. I also continue cranking, hoping the oil pump will deliver...
Should I drag the jeep around in gear? remove the plugs and spin the engine more? 24 volt the sucker a bit? Can you tell I'm a tad frustrated?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Jerry

Hellomrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.