8 help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 8 help

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
USAXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

8 help

My rear diff started whining after being stuck in the mud for about an hour. I got it home and swapped the fluid but found no water. The fluid was very runny and dark which I thought was odd since it was only about a month old. I swapped the fluid with 75-90 and the whine didn't go away. I just learned that the LSD requires 75-140 and I'll be doing that first thing in the morning. My question is:if does the whine indicate that it's too late and the clutches are worn? I'm a differential noob and any input would be greatly appreciated.

USAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Whining probably indicates bearings. Time to rebuild or replace.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
USAXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just pulled the cover and had to scoop a bunch of sand out. The magnet was also fouled out with shavings so now I'm tearing into it replacing more than I wanted to.
USAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.