8¼ help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 8¼ help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
USAXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

8¼ help

My rear diff started whining after being stuck in the mud for about an hour. I got it home and swapped the fluid but found no water. The fluid was very runny and dark which I thought was odd since it was only about a month old. I swapped the fluid with 75-90 and the whine didn't go away. I just learned that the LSD requires 75-140 and I'll be doing that first thing in the morning. My question is:if does the whine indicate that it's too late and the clutches are worn? I'm a differential noob and any input would be greatly appreciated.

USAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Whining probably indicates bearings. Time to rebuild or replace.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
USAXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just pulled the cover and had to scoop a bunch of sand out. The magnet was also fouled out with shavings so now I'm tearing into it replacing more than I wanted to.
USAXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.