8.8 Drum Brake rebuild kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 8.8 Drum Brake rebuild kit

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 Drum Brake rebuild kit

Hey guys/gals.

I've got a 94 explorer 8.8 with nothing but the backing plates for brakes. So I was looking for help to see if anyone has found a kit that has all that springs, adjusters, cylinders, shoes, etc. I could prices this together on rock auto, I'm sure. But I don't want to risk missing prices. Currie only seems to have 11" kits? Any help would be awesome!!

Unread 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just bumping
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfuman View Post
Just bumping
JUST the backing plates, nothing else, not even the small levers for the parking brakes?

I can help with the parts list on Rock Auto if I know what you have.
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

JUST the backing plates, nothing else, not even the small levers for the parking brakes?

I can help with the parts list on Rock Auto if I know what you have.
Well, I bought the axle with the brakes torn down by the previous owner. He gave me a baggy with the differential cover bolts, and I think maybe a few brake parts. I have two each of these little guys, the hold down springs, and the parking brake cable guides. Maybe some others but I might as well replace what I can with new stuff for peace of mind. Or would it be cheaper at this point to swap to discs? Thanks for any help!
image-285558216.jpg  
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I bought the axle with the brakes torn down by the previous owner. He gave me a baggy with the differential cover bolts, and I think maybe a few brake parts. I have two each of these little guys, the hold down springs, and the parking brake cable guides. Maybe some others but I might as well replace what I can with new stuff for peace of mind. Or would it be cheaper at this point to swap to discs? Thanks for any help!
Backing plates are used by both rear drum and rear disc set-ups. Those bits you have are from rear drums. Is that correct?
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Backing plates are used by both rear drum and rear disc set-ups. Those bits you have are from rear drums. Is that correct?
Oh, yeah sorry. It's definitely drum brakes.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think it would be cheaper to swap to discs unless you can snag the backing plates off of a trashed housing. They are much simpler to work on though and that is a decision you will need to make.

If it were mine, I would swap to discs, but it's not mine.
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I don't think it would be cheaper to swap to discs unless you can snag the backing plates off of a trashed housing. They are much simpler to work on though and that is a decision you will need to make.

If it were mine, I would swap to discs, but it's not mine.
I've never really looked at a rear disc setup. Would I pretty much just need to pickup a set of disc backing plates and the caliper braket thing? Besides the caliper and etc, would I need much else?
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've never really looked at a rear disc setup. Would I pretty much just need to pickup a set of disc backing plates and the caliper braket thing? Besides the caliper and etc, would I need much else?
This is the 8.8 loaded backing plate. Outside of what you see in the pic, you will need a rotor, caliper, caliper bolts, brake pads, flex hoses, banjo bolt, crush washers, flex hose mount with clip, and parking brake cables from an 03 up TJ with rear discs.

Unread 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This is the 8.8 loaded backing plate. Outside of what you see in the pic, you will need a rotor, caliper, caliper bolts, brake pads, flex hoses, banjo bolt, crush washers, flex hose mount with clip, and parking brake cables from an 03 up TJ with rear discs.
Right on! It seems like, at this point, why not just swap to discs. Do you know if these parts will simply bolt onto my 8.8? If it fits my drum model I'll go grab the important stuff out of the junkyard. And maybe grab a set of those fancy Black Magic pads, and centric rotors I hear so much about!
Unread 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right on! It seems like, at this point, why not just swap to discs. Do you know if these parts will simply bolt onto my 8.8? If it fits my drum model I'll go grab the important stuff out of the junkyard. And maybe grab a set of those fancy Black Magic pads, and centric rotors I hear so much about!
That is a darn good question. I can't find the info that tells me if they will. There were no disc brake rear axles in 94, so the interchange info doesn't work. I looked at the rear wheel bearing and it shows it working up until 96 which isn't encouraging. If it interchanged up to 2001, that would have told us they were the same or close enough to try.

Know any folks that are smart about 8.8's?
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Superfuman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That is a darn good question. I can't find the info that tells me if they will. There were no disc brake rear axles in 94, so the interchange info doesn't work. I looked at the rear wheel bearing and it shows it working up until 96 which isn't encouraging. If it interchanged up to 2001, that would have told us they were the same or close enough to try.

Know any folks that are smart about 8.8's?
Well, I found a thread on just a minute ago: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=305248

Seems like a fellow there has bolted the brake parts directly onto the 94 housing. Sounds optimistic. I'll give it a whack and maybe make a little how-to write up!
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The '95 & newer 8.8 disc brakes are a direct swap for your '94 8.8 axle.

Only the brakes are different, housings, bearing flanges, and axles are exactly the same from drum to disc versions.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
The '95 & newer 8.8 disc brakes are a direct swap for your '94 8.8 axle.

Only the brakes are different, housings, bearing flanges, and axles are exactly the same from drum to disc versions.

Max
What changed about the rear axle bearing? Did they just make it wider with wider rollers to increase towing capacity or something?
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing. Both the '94 drum & '95 disc brake version 8.8 axles use a #6408 Timken wheel bearing.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.