75k too many miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 75k too many miles?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
Rock1127

75k too many miles?

I've choked the hell out of my current jeep and squeezed 286k out of it. I thought it was time to upgrade, but being a student i'm on a really tight budget. I found an engine for 400 + 100 shipping that has 75k on it and another one that has 60k for 650 shipped. Is it really worth spending 150.00 more to save 15k miles? I just want something that's a decent upgrade from my current pooped engine. I'd appreciate all help.

Also, the engine i'm looking at is from a 1994 grand cherokee, will it fit in my '93?

Rock1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
digibus

Well, if both engines are 4.0s, you didn't say, they will swap in the same. I would not drop the extra cash on the motor just to save on 15k miles. While you're at it you should go ahead and build a stroker engine. I mean if you're pullin the block any ways all you really need are the crank and rods from an old 4.2 and then later if you want to upgrade to larger pistons cams ported head and all that you already have an extra block to work with.
[B]1999 4.0 WJ Limited [/B] NX Wet EFI Kit;HESCO Head, Cam and Water Pump;Apexi SAFC2;Accel 24lb injectors;K&N FIPK; 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow SS Exhaust; Dynatech Cat; Banks SS header;Custom 3" Head Pipe;E Cut-out;62mm TB & Spacer; MSD DIS-4; Jet 180°stat;H&R springs;Eibach Sway Bars;Brembo Rotors; Streetscene grill;E.L. Dash ; Autometer C2 EGT, N2O & Fuel Pressure;Edlebrock A:F Meter
digibus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Rock1127

Sorry, I don't know much about engines. I'm having the engine installed by a shop...that is if I can find one that isn't outrageously priced. All the ones i've called so far quote nearly 1000.00, when people tell me they've had the exact same thing done for 400.00.

Yes, both engines are 4.0L. What kind of condition are these engines usually in at around 75k miles? Is 400 + 100.00 shipping a good price for an engine with this many miles?
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
digibus

The 4.0 is barely broken in at 75k, seriously when properly maintained they should last and last for a very long time just as long as they are not abused. $400 sounds about right do you know the history of the engine¿ If not I would try to find one at a local yard. The ones they are quoting you a 1000 for are probably newer but that does not always mean that they are better. The main thing I would try to find out about the engine is how well it was maintained propper oil changes and what not or if it has had issues with over heating or if it was completly blown and rebuilt and those sort of things. If you're just looking to do a replacement and not any type of performance stuff the one with 75k would be what I would go for as long as it's in good condition.
[B]1999 4.0 WJ Limited [/B] NX Wet EFI Kit;HESCO Head, Cam and Water Pump;Apexi SAFC2;Accel 24lb injectors;K&N FIPK; 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow SS Exhaust; Dynatech Cat; Banks SS header;Custom 3" Head Pipe;E Cut-out;62mm TB & Spacer; MSD DIS-4; Jet 180°stat;H&R springs;Eibach Sway Bars;Brembo Rotors; Streetscene grill;E.L. Dash ; Autometer C2 EGT, N2O & Fuel Pressure;Edlebrock A:F Meter
digibus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Rock1127

Yeah, the guy said he guarantees it to work great. He even wanted to come with it to install it for me to save me money on the outrageous labor quotes from shops around here. I called about 10 shops, and the LOWEST quote was 750.00 just for labor to put it in, and the highest was 1100.00. The guy i'm buying the engine from says his shop installs them for 450.00.

I haven't asked much about the history, but I do know it came from a jeep that a tree fell on the roof during huricane charlie and the insurance company totalled it. I'll ask a bit more about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.