'71 cj5 engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > '71 cj5 engine swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
reedbaer

Picked up a 71 cj5 and am looking to put a 350 in it. Anybody know what the best manual tranny out there would be for it? Want it to be a more of a driver than a trail jeep. I was looking into the sm420's due to their size and convenience... Although I know no matter what the rear axle will have to be moved back. But they aren't the greatest for just driving. Any other options out there?

reedbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

try advance adapters or Novack
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
reedbaer

Ya I've looked into adapters and I've done a little research through Novak... I think money wise I'm leaning towards just a gm trams that bolts right up. Still not positive on the transfer case haven't really searched my options there. It's my first jeep and I'm wanting to eventually do the whole restore body work and all but as of now I just want a running v8 in it so I'm trying to piece together a full drivetrain ( due to the existing one being completely junk ). Any info helps though! Thanks for the suggestions and let me know if you have any more experience or info you'd like to share... Appreciate it!
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I would suggest a modern 4 or V6. They will give you more than enough power and you won't have to hack up the grill making space.
The Buick's are popular, and the 225 was a stock engine from 65 to 71.
The 4.3 Vortec is another popular choice.
As far as the transmissions go, either the sm or the t18 would be a good choice, although they shift loike a truck trans. There are still adapters available for the early Muncie car four speeds. these have external linkages, but shift much better than their truck cousins. Whatever you decide, insure you keep a close eye on the overall length, as you can end up with a very short rear driveline.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
reedbaer

We're gonna move the rear axle back for sure to fit the drive train. Thinking from what I've read, Dakota springs in the rear will give nearly 10 more inches of wheelbase? And given those springs in the rear will also give a couple inches of lift. Any suggestions on what to put for front springs?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.