67 cj5 225 problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 67 cj5 225 problems

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
MrBoseidon

67 cj5 225 problems

ok,just picked up a a 67 cj5, changed oil, plugs, wires fluid etc.. problem is
feels like its bogging down and then catching power for a sec.. at idle the passenger side of the engine sounds like it has an exhaust leak at the header... could this cause idle problems or power loss? the pass side of the engine is slightly shaking, no knocking or ticking... any thoughts?

MrBoseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
MrBoseidon

I've been on the forum before, just forgot my user name/password.. so anyways.. I'm getting a dizzy tomorrow. Gonna re-check the plugs and make sure nothing is fouled. it still runs, but like i said it just feels weak.. when it "catches" power you can really feel it pull but then it feels like it boggs and weakens again.
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Properly timing the oddfire engine is critical.
Insure the accelerator pump on the carb is operating properly.
I'm short on time right now or I would walk you through the checklist. My suggestion it to hit the earlycj5.com tech pages. They have a ton of info to help. If you don't get any traction over there, I will be happy to give you a hand on Monday (headed out of town this weekend).
BTW, congrats on owning what is the (IMHO) best powerplant ever to grace a CJ.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
MrBoseidon

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I'm going to check the timing today. It just seems like the passenger side of the engine is idle rough and when i drive i can feel it want to hit a power range and then back out.. like it's getting spark and then not... i'm not sure how to describe it. The accelerator pump is operating properly. I'll check out the tech pages. Thanks! Any other ideas would be helpful
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
macscal
1978 CJ5 

I had a 71 with the 225. Had a similar problem. I think you are on the right track, timing first. If that does not fix your issues, pull your valve covers and check your valve lash. After going through timing, dizzy, valve adjustment, and new fuel filters it fixed the problem. For me it was a combo of smaller adjustments. Also, I ABSOLUTELY agree the 225 was the greatest motor ever to be used in a CJ. Good luck!!
macscal is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I wonder if your plug wires are in the wrong position on the distributor. On the 225, due to the odd fire design, it's possible to have the wires in the correct order on the cap, but in the wrong position. Due to the uneven firing pulses, you will wind up running on 3 cylinders.
Oh, and count me in as a big fan of this engine as well!
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
MrBoseidon

got the rough idle fixed.. it was a horrible exhaust leak. Seems to idle smooth. The MAIN issue now is power... it feels like i'm getting HP and then it bogs out. I took the carb off, cleaned everything, waiting on gaskets to return to put back together.. If the carb doesn't fix it, i'm going to check the valves. I don't have a manual to put the 2 jet back together so i'm going to have to research for one.

I changed plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I hope i'm describing the power losss feeling.. It sometimes pulls like an ox for a few seconds then feels like it's being smothered. Anyone have any ideas?? I'll also check timing tomorrow as well. I'll research that too, unless anyone knows off hand what degree it should be at idle..curve..etc?

Any other thoughts?
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
MrBoseidon

Also, Thanks for the congrats on the engine. It really amazes me, everyone seems to complement it when i'm in town. just want to get it running like it deserves!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.