600cfm Edelbrock on 258 6 cyl. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 600cfm Edelbrock on 258 6 cyl.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 06-13-2002, 08:35 PM   #1
Trailryder42

600cfm Edelbrock on 258 6 cyl.

My son is looking at buying an '88 Wrangler with a 258 6 cyl.. One of the previous owners put a Clifford intake manifold, headers and what seems to me to be overkill for carburetion, an Edelbrock 600cfm, manual choke, 4 barrel. From what I can find on the net, a 390 4 barrel is the largest recommended carb for this manifold/engine size. Any comments/thoughts are appreciated.

Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2002, 08:57 PM   #2
Bob K

I don't have experience with that large a carb on a Jeep. But it doesn't sound like a good idea for all the obvious resons. Assuming the motor is stock. I can remember that a Holley 650 was a good size carb for a high performance engine in the 350 cubic inch range.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2002, 09:45 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

I ran a mildly "Clifford" modified 258 in my last CJ for 6 years, with the saem setup, including the intake, 390 carb, dual exhaust headers, cam, etc.

The 390 is ABSOLUTELY the largest you should use, 600 is absolutely ridiculous on a 258. Even with the 390, I ran rich sometimes until I got on it.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2002, 02:13 PM   #4
Trailryder42

Thanks guys for those thoughts. That's pretty much what I figured. Something else I thought of about it. I bet it would need adjusting, jets-wise and retuned if he ever took it to altitude.
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.