# 5 water pump what am I missing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > # 5 water pump what am I missing

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
droldsw32

# 5 water pump what am I missing

95 GC with the 4.0. This is # 5 water pump that has blown in the last 2 years. The original pump lasted 170K. Now I have 215K and have replaced this POS 4times. Itís shot again so this is # 5. #3 didnít give any advanced warning it just puked the bearing & seal hard. The impeller was eating into the housing. I used 10 gallons of water to limp it home 20miles. Iím a mechanic of 30 years so I have a decent amount of skill and knowledge. This oneís stumping me. I've tried several different brands from the big box brands to the last one which was a new Delco, same results. The truck has regular maintenance. When I replace the pump I flush the entire system and bring it back up with 50/50 pre-mixed coolant. The belt tension is just enough to avoid slippage when the A/C is on. So itís not an over tightened belt. Of course there isnít a tensioner on this engine, I donít get it and Iím quite done with it. Iím handing this over to my 17 year old as his first vehicle. We are going to repair it together. Iíd like this to be the last pump I install before we crush it. Iíve often questioned the side load on these pumps as the belt loads the left side of the pulley. But the factory pump went 170K. Now I canít get through an oil change without doing a pump too WTH! Any suggestions anyone else experienced this???

droldsw32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
mmerlinn

My experience with water pumps is that rebuilt pumps are not worth the powder it would take to blow them apart. Six months is all I could ever get out of a rebuilt. When I have gone new at twice the price, they have outlasted the vehicles.

That said, you have gone both ways, so either you got real unlucky with your new one, or there is some other unknown problem. I would go with another new one. If it pukes again in short order, then I would have to assume that something else is causing the problem as I would find it hard to believe that two new pumps in a row would be the same quality as a rebuilt one.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
MoparXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just a thought, you might want to check the pulley on the water pump. If its different by some chance it could cause over spin.
MoparXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.