5.9l v8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 5.9l v8

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-20-2002, 01:35 AM   #1
zaffy

5.9l v8

hi guys, my 1st post! anyway, i am considering buying a 1998 grand cherokee 5.9 liter for 7k dollars. the reason that it is so cheap is b/c iot has 120000. my question is, how much would it cost to rebuild this engine? what else should i look out for when buying a car with such high mileage?

zaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #2
4wheeler4CJ

First, WELCOME!

Well, first impression of the mileage, is don't worry about it. I love high-mileage vehicles personally, because you can usually get a good vehicle cheap because of it. When they are young, like that one, it usually indicates only highway use, no abuse, which is the best kind of mileage you can put on a vehicle. That GC you are looking at is 4 years old, so has an average of about 30,000 miles/year.

You should have no need to even think of rebuilding it for at least another 100,000 miles, providing it has been maintained the last 4 years. When you put on that many highway miles, all that usually needs to be done is oil, brakes, tires, belts, etc.

My wife puts 27,000 miles/year minimum, and every vehicle we have bought for her runs with no major problems, usually to over 200,000 miles. The last one we sold had 212,000 miles on it when we sold it, and all I ever did was regular maintenance. We are already over 100,000 miles on her next one with no problems.

Anyways, just check for any signs of "abuse" or whether it was used often for towing, check it for overall cleanliness inside, underneath (oil leaks, rusty), etc., and see if you can verify any maintenance records. Sounds like it will probably be fine. By the way, is it a dealer or private sale?

Sorry to be so long on the reply LOL, but I can't think of anything major that would be wrong if everything obvious checks out, and, obviously if it runs, sounds, drives fine. Good Luck, let us know how you make out!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
zaffy

thanks for the thorough answer. it is a private party selling the car. i just dont know what to do know. i want the 5.9, but i love the new envoy's also.
Unread 03-20-2002, 12:39 PM   #4
zaffy

thanks for the thorough answer. it is a private party selling the car. i just dont know what to do know. i want the 5.9, but i love the new envoy's also.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.