5.2l squealing HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 5.2l squealing HELP!

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
grandcherokee94
1998 ZJ 

5.2l squealing HELP!

I have a 98 ZJ with the 5.2L,I have replaced the idler pulley,a/c clutch and pulley,tensioner pulley,power steering pulley,and a new belt.I haven't drove the jeep in over a month now because the squeal will not stop,you don't hear it at idle,but gets loud as hell when I give it alittle bit of gas. I do not know what else to do and because of the squeal I have put a stop on the build. I don't know if there anyway to tighten the belt,before replacing everything I did WD-40 and also dish soap,which would stop it for about an hour before it came back,Please help me!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

1998 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
Build Tread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...rokee-1405999/

1996 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
grandcherokee94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
grandcherokee94
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcherokee94
I have a 98 ZJ with the 5.2L,I have replaced the idler pulley,a/c clutch and pulley,tensioner pulley,power steering pulley,and a new belt.I haven't drove the jeep in over a month now because the squeal will not stop,you don't hear it at idle,but gets loud as hell when I give it alittle bit of gas. I do not know what else to do and because of the squeal I have put a stop on the build. I don't know if there anyway to tighten the belt,before replacing everything I did WD-40 and also dish soap,which would stop it for about an hour before it came back,Please help me!

Can anyone help me out?!

1998 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
Build Tread:

1996 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Pierre_r
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Waterpump or alternator both those will squeal before they die.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
grandcherokee94
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre_r
Waterpump or alternator both those will squeal before they die.
Thanks,I'll have to check into those.

1998 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
Build Tread:

1996 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
tp72chev
1997 WJ 

You stated that you replaced the tensioner pulley but not the whole tensioner. If you spray the belt with water or anything and the noise goes away then you problem is the belt or the tension of the belt. Since you sprayed the belt with wd40 you need to replace it as well as clean all your pulleys. If there is rust on the crank pulley wire brush it and clean it. I would also replace the whole tensioner.
tp72chev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
grandcherokee94
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp72chev
You stated that you replaced the tensioner pulley but not the whole tensioner. If you spray the belt with water or anything and the noise goes away then you problem is the belt or the tension of the belt. Since you sprayed the belt with wd40 you need to replace it as well as clean all your pulleys. If there is rust on the crank pulley wire brush it and clean it. I would also replace the whole tensioner.
I was planning on replacing the whole tensioner soon,but since it's almost $70 I didn't want to get that just in case that didnt work either,so was wondering if theres anything else that could be causing it,just getting tired of dumping money into it and the noise not going away

1998 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD
Build Tread:

1996 ZJ Limited-5.2L AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.