5.0L HO conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 5.0L HO conversion

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 07-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
JeepDude87YJ

5.0L HO conversion

Hey, does anyone know of any web sites that have info and parts on a 5.0L HO conversion into a 87 or 91 Wrangler? thanks-- Andy

-91YJ 5'' Lift 33x12.5 BFG Mudders
4.0 5spd,
-99WJ 4.7L with hitch to tow them all...
Also assorted CJ-7's and YJ's...
JeepDude87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
87Cherokeelmtd

Just buy a mustang
Unread 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
JeepDude87YJ

yea... thanks for the help.....
-91YJ 5'' Lift 33x12.5 BFG Mudders
4.0 5spd,
-99WJ 4.7L with hitch to tow them all...
Also assorted CJ-7's and YJ's...
JeepDude87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
jmccormick
2012 JK Wrangler 

ic ur not getting ne help and just gettin "smart" comments. i own a 5.0 ho mustang. and i amv ery familiar with the motor. first off lets get some things outta the way. are looking to keep it fuel injected? or do you wanna go carbed? if u go fuel injected its most likly gunna be a nightmare trying to make a harness for that motor. and if i am not mistakin there isnt to many aftermarket places that make stand alone engine harnesses and computers for the 5 litre ho. if i were you id make it carbed then its a sinch. get some fuel and spark and there ya go. if u want to go fuel injected and not have the stock style intake holley makes a huel injection setup for it but its pricey. and i think edelbrock makes one for it also.

imo. go with a chevy 350. parts are endless and cheeep. even though i have a 5.0 mustang. i dont think id do it again. sbf parts are harder to come by and more expensive. if u got the money to do something wicked might i suggest going with an LS_ style chevy small block ie: ls1-2-3-6 or 4.8/5.3/6.0 these are all ls based motors and the aftermarket has plenty of stand alone harnesses and computers to make it run on a lawnmower if you wanted.

hope some of my info helps ya. im almost 75% sure no one sells parts to swap a 5.0 into a jeep. if they do sorrry.
jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
gamble71

there's a guy on rrorc.com who can make ya a harness. This is actually a very easy swap, been done quite a few times. Hell, if you go there, there's a guy named TNRanger who just built a YJ with a FI'd 5.0/C6/NP205 set-up. It's a real monster, and he made it look easy. He's gonna help me with my SAS when I get down there, I highly recommend going there and asking some questions.
gamble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Kuasimodem

Summit Racing carries the EFI harness for a 5.0L swap. And they also carry a full stand-alone engine management system for 86-93 5.0L motors, complete with computer. They're not cheap, about $500 for the harness, and $1400 for the complete system, but it's all plug and play
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I have done several 5.0 SEFI mustang as well as 460EFI and 351EFI conversions as well as 4.0 and Junk yard FI onto a 258 and you basically get the engine and all of the wiring and sensors (electric fuel pumps etc.) that attach to the computer then take the harness apart and remove all of the wires that are not associated with the computer. Then install the engine figure out where you want to place everything in the engine compartment and shorten/lengthen the wires to fit. Finally you re-loom everything and dress it for a factory look, and connect it to the existing power, ground and start/run circuits. You will need a high quality booster pump at the tank and a high pressure FI pump near the engine or on the frame (just sucking gasoline out of the tank with a high pressure pump commonly causes vapor lock (trust me)).
Yes; it is moderately difficult, but it is worth the effort. It takes me 2-3 days more than a standard engine change out (working part time 2-6 hours/day). You will need detailed electrical schematics of the wiring and probably a Digital 10 megohm input impedance volt ohm meter (Harborfreight $20, on sale) as well as knowledge of FI sensors and troubleshooting. with patience it can be sorted out; each wire only has 2 ends, but there are a lot of them and sometimes they join others inside the loom.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-19-2007 at 09:55 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to buy a harness, I suggest getting one from Ford Fuel Injection. I used their harness for the EFI 5.0 swap into my Mustang. It was incredibly easy and looks factory. Way nicer than the Painless kit from what I have heard/seen. The 5.0 is an easy motor to work on and should be an easy swap also.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=21 You'll have to use the "universal" kit for the YJ.
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
jmccormick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuasimodem
Summit Racing carries the EFI harness for a 5.0L swap. And they also carry a full stand-alone engine management system for 86-93 5.0L motors, complete with computer. They're not cheap, about $500 for the harness, and $1400 for the complete system, but it's all plug and play
dude thats sweet. i wasnt aware of puttin 5.0 ho's in jeeps. and i deff didngt know they had a full stand alone kit for the 5.0l im thinking of doing this now lol
jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.