4x4 won't disengage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4x4 won't disengage

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
jpjeff317

4x4 won't disengage

After putting my 05' wrangler 4.0L/6 speed in 4H the other weak for added traction it somehow disconnected or snapped or something. All I know is that I can't take it out of 4H now. Is there a way fix this myself or at least get it back to 2H

jpjeff317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
DaemonForce

A Wrangler with a 4.0L can't get out of 4WD...What transfer case are you using and how does it shift? Mechanical shifter? Vacuum linkages?
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
jpjeff317

I am mechanically inclined, but have not really worked on cars at all in my life. With a set of directions or if I took something apart I can usually figure out a fix. but being that its my car and I need it to get arilound I really don't have that luxury.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
DaemonForce

Oh don't worry about that, it's not like a car at all. It's more like a big plug and play computer. The shift system in my Eagle evolved enough times that it's incredibly easy to segregate that function from the rest of the vehicle. Just go to your junkyard and look at the shift system on a bunch of 4WD vehicles and you'll understand exactly what that means.

If something is mechanically disconnected in your shift linkage, you'll have to visually inspect what and where that is. The linkage shifter is usually next to the transmission shifter or rod that pokes out from the floor board under the driver seat. It typically has a rod or cable that hooks into a rectangular clip bolted onto the front driver side of a New Process transfer case. If everything looks like it should be working but isn't, the problem is probably more serious.

If you have a vacuum style shift linkage, you have a lot more that can go wrong and a lot more to check. Thankfully most of this effort is just chasing down vacuum leaks, the bad is in discovering new areas those can exist. It's probably best to do away with such a system entirely but I'm going to assume you DON'T have this and you just have a broken or disconnected mechanical shifter.
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
jpjeff317

a buddy of mine had said something to that respect.....that a cable or rod had come aplart or snapped......but I have been waiting for about a month now for him to take a look at it. so I am taking matters into my own hands
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
DaemonForce

I think this is a fair representation of what it's like on a CJ style shifter. The new stuff might look a little different or have a bunch of fanciful plastic encasing everywhere. That could be a little aggravating.

The other part probably looks something like this with a 9/16" nut over it:

As always, covered in grease and God knows what. You might want to get a rag and spray around with some WD-40 or maybe some ether if you're that OCD about it.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
A Wrangler with a 4.0L can't get out of 4WD...
I don't understand this comment. OP has 2H and really should be using it most of the time. Use of 4WD should be in low traction environments only. TJ TCs are not AWD. There is no center diff there and so your front and rear driveshafts are locked together when in 4WD. If you aren't in a low traction environment where the wheels can slip to compensate for the axles moving at different speeds things will bind up in the TC.

Next OP has mechanical linkage not vacuum. That is likely the problem. It actually won't look like either of the pictures though.

OP, first if you are driving on the dry road in 4H, stop. Very bad for your TC. Get under your jeep and use the lever attached to the TC to get it back in 2H. Next, follow the transfer case linkage to see if broken. Start either at the tub under handle or at the TC and follow the system of rods and levers. It is a pretty Mickey Mouse setup with a bunch of rods and bushings. Very common for the bushings to wear out and the linkage to disconnect. There is a rebuild kit that the dealer sells but most people take it as an opportunity to go to one of the aftermarket linkage options. There are hard links where you end up with something like the second picture that was posted (Teraflex for example makes some thing like that), but the best option is a push-pull cable option from Novak.

If it turns out not to be the linkage and and you can't manually shift it back into 2H then you've probably buggered up the inside the TC by driving it in 4H in a high traction situation. Answer then is you have to open up the TC, figure out what's broke there and it may or may not be fixable.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
DaemonForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I don't understand this comment.
Face value. A modern Jeep can't get OUT of 4WD...I found it amusing.
Quote:
TJ TCs are not AWD. There is no center diff there and so your front and rear driveshafts are locked together when in 4WD.
That doesn't sound so different to me. So the TC isn't a center differential?
Quote:
Next OP has mechanical linkage not vacuum. That is likely the problem. It actually won't look like either of the pictures though.
I imagine the shift linkage is at least the first issue and what I posted will give the OP some idea what to look for. It should be pretty easy to find since it's just a simple shifter. All transfer cases vary and I often take a LOT for granted. I forget that some 4H modes can't run on dry pavement without causing some damage. I can only shift from 2H and 4H so I don't have this issue. From the rest of what you mentioned you make it sound like the Wrangler no longer uses a viscous clutch either. That doesn't make sense to me at all. What is the OP using for a 4WD system and how does it engage?
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Face value. A modern Jeep can't get OUT of 4WD...I found it amusing.
False. OP's jeep has 2H, 4H and 4L modes. He should be in 2H most of the time.

Quote:

That doesn't sound so different to me. So the TC isn't a center differential?
Some modern Jeeps TCs are AWD (e.g. 242), but in Wranglers like OP a 231 or a 241 are chain driven and have 2H mode and no viscous clutch. When a 231 or 241 shifts into 4WD the front and rear driveshafts are mechanically locked. There is no ability for the front and rear driveshafts to spin at different speeds. If you run a 231 or 241 in 4WD on high traction surface creates bind and can break stuff in the TC.

Put a TJ on a lift and expirement. You might learn something.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
wjjgctommy

Try driving in reverse slowly while trying to disengage 4x4. And see what happens. Got to do both at the same time though.
wjjgctommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjgctommy View Post
Try driving in reverse slowly while trying to disengage 4x4. And see what happens. Got to do both at the same time though.
That used to be an issue in older TCs, but shouldn't be a problem in a 231/241.
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
wjjgctommy

Yea but it still may work. Have you tried it. Its still mechanical parts that are getting in a bind. It helps with my 00 wj
wjjgctommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjgctommy View Post
Yea but it still may work. Have you tried it. Its still mechanical parts that are getting in a bind. It helps with my 00 wj
You probably have a Quadra-Trac TC. Materially different than a Command-Trac like OP has.

Sure he can try it, but that's not his problem. As was already discussed, he most likely just has had a bushing come loose in the shift linkage. If it isn't that he's probably done internal damage.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.