4WD questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4WD questions....

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Wheels4

4WD questions....

Wife and I went muddin' today... but, i don't know if i was in 4HI or 4LO or 4WD at all.

i put it in 4HI and the little light came on(part time). couldn't tell if it was in 4wd or not... seemed like the back were spinning but the front didn't seem like it.

then... put it in 4LO and i could tell a change in the gearing, but i still couldn't tell if the front were spinning(there was no change in tension on the steering wheel while turning and gasing it).

the whole time i'm trying to figure out what's going on... the "Part time" light stayed on...

so, my question is this: do you have a "4LO" or "4HI" light that comes on when you are in those modes? or does the "part time" stay on all the time??

it was so slick and muddy... i had it in(what i thought was 4HI) 4wd and gasing it alittle and the back would start sliding right or left while edging forward....

I know these questions might be lame... but, i'd like to know if it was the conditions of the "off road park's" roads or if my 4wd isn't working.

thanks in advance for any help....

Wheels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
UTAH

On my TJ the 4WD (part time) light is on in both high & low 4x4. There is no other light distinguishing the two. The transfer case engagement lever is full forward for 2 high and 4 high is one position to the rear. You should be able to feel the transfer case go through its neutral position into 4 low as you pull it all the way back to that position.

I've always checked my 4x4 engagement the old fashioned way - getting the front end on soil or mud and leaning out the window to see if I can spin the front tire.

Bill

Last edited by UTAH; 04-14-2007 at 06:11 PM..
UTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Wheels4

thanks for the help Bill... i'm alittle more at ease now. if i could have leaned out, i would have. but, there just wasn't an opportunity to do so...

thanks again.
Unread 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
UTAH

You are welcome.

Sounds like you had a good time offroad.

Bill
Unread 04-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Wheels4

a good time was had by both of us(wife and I)... ready to go again.

hey, I'm curious... is your TJ a second vehicle for ya and the JK a daily driver?
Unread 04-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels4
... is your TJ a second vehicle for ya and the JK a daily driver?
I have a few:

2007 Jeep JK 4-door Unltd
2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI (diesel)
2005 BMW R1200RT (boxer)
2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon
2003 Dodge 4x4 2500 CTD (diesel)
2002 Mercedes-Benz V-12 SL600
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Kawasaki KLR650
1997 Land Rover D90
1995 Harley Davidson FLSTN

My daily driver is usually one of the Mercedes (or the Beemer during the summer) and the Jeep Grand and JK are for general family use. The Rover is actually the best performer of the lot off road.

Bill
Unread 04-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Wheels4

DANG..... and I thought I had too many toys.

so, what's the name of your dealership? kidding...

The Rover is the best off roader? did you do many mods to it to make it that way? or are you referring to stock?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.