4wd not engaging - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4wd not engaging

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
dechant91

4wd not engaging

I recently bought a 92 yj with a np231 tcase. I decided the other day to see what it had in 2wd and snapped my rear slip yoke in half. I then dropped it into 4wd to try and get out of where I was and limp home and no movement. I climbed under neath and took a look and saw that the front drive shaft was fully intact with the axle and was spinning but was not making connection with the tires. I haven't done much work with axles but am pretty tech savy when it comes to my vehicles and would like to fix this issue while I'm waiting on my new slip yoke. If anyone has any ideas on what it may be please let me know.

dechant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well knowing that you have a YJ and therefore have a CAD axle would make you savvy. Your vacuum actuator or the vacuum switch at the Tcase or possibly the vacuum lines to either or both are faulty. Start with checking the vacuum lines where they pass over the exhaust. They may have come in contact with the exhaust pipe and burned through. Fix as necessary. If they are ok then move to the actuator on the passenger side axle tube. Make sure it moves like it should. Last, I'd try the switch on the driver side of the Tcase. It's got 4 vacuum lines going to it. It needs to work for you to engage your front axle.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
dechant91

Awesome I appreciate the help. I took a look at my lines switch and the sift motor on my cad and everything seems to be in pretty good shape. I read on wrangler forum that there is a solution to make the cad axle a solid axle by putting a spring inside the fork of the sift motor they say this will fix the problem without needing the vaccum lines anymore. Thus being able to plug them and be able to shift freely in 4wd hi and lo. Has anyone heard of this remedy I'm thinking about doing it but skeptical because they say you may get a bumpy ride from your front axle. I do not want to mess something up in my front end from doing a quick solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechant91 View Post
Awesome I appreciate the help. I took a look at my lines switch and the sift motor on my cad and everything seems to be in pretty good shape. I read on wrangler forum that there is a solution to make the cad axle a solid axle by putting a spring inside the fork of the sift motor they say this will fix the problem without needing the vaccum lines anymore. Thus being able to plug them and be able to shift freely in 4wd hi and lo. Has anyone heard of this remedy I'm thinking about doing it but skeptical because they say you may get a bumpy ride from your front axle. I do not want to mess something up in my front end from doing a quick solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/17377-cad-fix-1/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
dechant91

Thanks for the link cruiser I like that method a lot better than shoving a spring in there lol. And that answered the question nobody seemed to want to about if its all time 4wd thanks again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.