4wd linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4wd linkage

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4wd linkage

hi guys, this is only my second thread and i appreciate all the insight.

i have a 98 wrangler that i want to adjust the bar/trunnion. it pops out of 4hi and seems to be staying in 4lo when i take her on the trails.

seems the bar is stuck, im assuming corroded together with the nut/tightener so i cant adjust it. can i pop that bar off so i can take it to get a better hold in things to twist them and break them free? they dont seem to be really rusted and formed together buy just enough to be held.

eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

You can pop that bar off but you might need new bushings. Those little plastic bushings can be found at most auto parts stores (or dealer). I found them in the "help" section and they were packaged in a set of different sizes for different apps. Then you can spray or soak the bar down with whatever you think might work. ATF with Diesel/kerosene or ATF with Acetone either of them mixed 50/50 are good mixes for a penetrate.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i just wanted to follow up for anyone searching as i do. i was able to pry off the linkage bar with an average weed pruner thing you cam get about anywhere. then i swapped between soaking it in bags of PBlaster and then a mix of atf/acetone. within half an hour i was able twist it with two sets of pliers pn either end. im leaving it sit some more know and the travel is getting a lot better. next, to put it back on!
image-2193489123.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

That tool works good for a lot of things and you found one of them out. They are good for prying on door panel clips, trim clips etc too. Anyway that thing is rusted pretty good, must be from up north. I dont see things like that rust like that too much here in OK. Maybe paint it or something in case you need to mess with it again in the future. Did you find new bushings for the ends?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thats right, im up in PA. after soaking it and lubing and sliding/twisting i was able to really get it to move. popped it back on, made sure the lever was in 4lo and made sure the actual lever connected to the transfer case was in 4lo and connected ut accordingly. went jeepin today and worked great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.